Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JABENDAN JABENDAN is offline

Default OFFICE 2007 DOCUMENTS READ ONLY

I am running OFFICE 2007 SP2 on VISTA ULTIMATE on 3 PC's in my home office.
Data files reside on another PC running WINDOWS HOME SERVER. Recently began
having problems with WORD and EXCEL documents I create then save and try to
reopen telling me 'DOCUMENT IN USE, TRY AGAIN LATER'. Some documents that
existed prior to me installing SP2 yesterday will say that the document is in
use and I'll have three options...1-OPEN A READ ONLY COPY, 2-CREATE A LOCAL
COPY & MERGE CHANGES LATER, 3-RECEIVE NOTIFICATION WHEN ORIGINAL COPY
AVAILABLE. However, when I open a local copy only, then save it to the
Windows Home Server, close the document and try to reopen it, I receive one
of the above error messages. Any document I create from scratch, save then
try to reopen gives me the 'DOCUMENT IN USE, TRY AGAIN LATER', message. This
is occuring primarily on 3 machines running VISTA/OFFICE 2007. It is
occurring intermittently on a machine running XP/OFFICE 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You will get this sort of issue if Word has not cleared its temporary files
for whatever reason when the file is closed (or if indeed the document is
opened on another PC). Check your network settings allow read/write access
to the folder containing the errant documents from the PCs in question and
ensure there are no orphan temporary files.
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm