Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hope Springs Hope Springs is offline

Default Word Document recovery

Hi this may seem very simple to some of you( I do hope it is), but I am
trying to recover some word doc`s, these were written on word 2000 and I am
trying to open them with 2003. All I get is gibberish, squares and fraction
numbers and the like, I have tried to open them with the recovery function in
the open button menu, it says it has recovered the document but all it does
is to rearrange the `words` down the left hand side of the page but it is
still giberish.I have also tried the `recover text from any file` and that
doesnt open them either. I hope someone can help with this as I do not have
much hair as it is, so I can`t afford to lose anymore.
Thanks in anticipation.
--
Hope Springs
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nina Nina is offline

Hi Hope,

Do the files you are trying to open have ".doc" extensions? If they don't,
add ".doc" to the filenames and then try opening the files in Word. It's a
long shot but a simple thing to try. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm out of
suggestions. Good luck!

"Hope Springs" wrote:

Hi this may seem very simple to some of you( I do hope it is), but I am
trying to recover some word doc`s, these were written on word 2000 and I am
trying to open them with 2003. All I get is gibberish, squares and fraction
numbers and the like, I have tried to open them with the recovery function in
the open button menu, it says it has recovered the document but all it does
is to rearrange the `words` down the left hand side of the page but it is
still giberish.I have also tried the `recover text from any file` and that
doesnt open them either. I hope someone can help with this as I do not have
much hair as it is, so I can`t afford to lose anymore.
Thanks in anticipation.
--
Hope Springs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word can recognize its native files without regard to the extension. It
sounds as though this document is hopelessly corrupt.