Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

Default Word 2007 - Table of Contents

I've successfuly created a table of contents in Word 2007, but I can't get it to work properly:

1- If I try to click on a page number, the whole table becomes shaded and I don't go to the page in question.

2- If I click on or near a heading my table becomes surrounded by a blue rectangle with a tiny toolbar on the top left. Only way to get rid of it is to close the document and re-open it.

There's something fundamental I'm missing here...what is it?

Thanks for your help.

Daddy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Ctrl+Click

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Daddy" wrote in message
I've successfuly created a table of contents in Word 2007, but I can't get
it to work properly:

1- If I try to click on a page number, the whole table becomes shaded and I
don't go to the page in question.

2- If I click on or near a heading my table becomes surrounded by a blue
rectangle with a tiny toolbar on the top left. Only way to get rid of it is
to close the document and re-open it.

There's something fundamental I'm missing here...what is it?

Thanks for your help.

Daddy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

And to add to Doug's reply, the TOC become grey because it is a field and
selected fields are shaded grey by default.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Daddy" wrote in message
I've successfuly created a table of contents in Word 2007, but I can't get
it to work properly:

1- If I try to click on a page number, the whole table becomes shaded and I
don't go to the page in question.

2- If I click on or near a heading my table becomes surrounded by a blue
rectangle with a tiny toolbar on the top left. Only way to get rid of it is
to close the document and re-open it.

There's something fundamental I'm missing here...what is it?

Thanks for your help.

Daddy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

Thanks to you both.

Unless I'm having one of those 'senior moments' ;-) I believe that in my
former version of Word (2002), I used to be able to simply click on a page
number or heading in a TOC and be taken directly to the heading in question.
Can't I do this in Word 2007? Ctrl+click was used to follow a hyperlink in
W2002, and even then a tooltip popped up to tell you what to do.

Also: Is there a way to make the blue rectangle w/toolbar disappear other
than by re-opening the document?

Daddy

"Daddy" wrote in message
I've successfuly created a table of contents in Word 2007, but I can't get
it to work properly:

1- If I try to click on a page number, the whole table becomes shaded and
I don't go to the page in question.

2- If I click on or near a heading my table becomes surrounded by a blue
rectangle with a tiny toolbar on the top left. Only way to get rid of it
is to close the document and re-open it.

There's something fundamental I'm missing here...what is it?

Thanks for your help.

Daddy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If Ctrl+click was required to follow a hyperlink, then it was required for
TOC hyperlinks as well, but you can disable this in the Word Options in 2007
just as you could in the Options in 2002.

"Daddy" wrote in message
I've successfuly created a table of contents in Word 2007, but I can't
get it to work properly:

1- If I try to click on a page number, the whole table becomes shaded and
I don't go to the page in question.

2- If I click on or near a heading my table becomes surrounded by a blue
rectangle with a tiny toolbar on the top left. Only way to get rid of it
is to close the document and re-open it.

There's something fundamental I'm missing here...what is it?

Thanks for your help.

Daddy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

I understand the part about ctrl+click now.

So it looks like I'm stuck with the blue rectangle with the mini-toolbar?