stagnate_zero

Default Word should have an Associated Press edition (AP).

I am a journalist. AP style (Associated Press) is the style of writing for my
profession. I would like to see Word have either an update that allows for
the spell check to automatically use AP style, or a new version that is the
"AP Edition" made for journalism professions. For example, variations of
spelling in everyday use and how it is spelled in AP style are as follows:

Spelling:

1) Email - normal everyday use

E-mail - Associated press style

2) Brand new - normal everyday use

Brand-new - Associated Press style

So, essentially, I would like to see a version of Word that incorporates all
the rules of AP style, so when grammer and spell check are used, it will fill
them in with AP style, and not the normal everyday spelling of words.

Thanks.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Is "grammer" an AP-approved spelling?

"stagnate_zero" wrote in message
[...]

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Daiya Mitchell

That's a pretty specialized feature you are asking for. What percentage of
Word users are journalists, globally, do you think?

You can add "email" and other single words to an exclude dictionary to tell
Word to flag it wrong.

You can also set up your own AutoCorrects to help out with this.
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/AutoCorrect.htm

Recording a Find & Replace macro that runs through such a list should be
pretty simple.

You should also look at Tools | Options | Spelling & Grammar, and click on
Settings to see if any of the fine-tuning available there helps you out.

On 9/15/05 12:36 PM, "stagnate_zero" wrote:

[...]

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=9b1f939c-c8bb
-459b-aa33-673f0eac6a86&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagemen t

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

stagnate_zero

I would have to agree with you that the average end-user who uses Microsoft
Office Word isnt a journalist. However, there are a lot of PR departments,
universities with journalism/communications/public relations programs (etc.),
and profit and non-profit institutions alike that would benefit from this
function €“ globally.

Almost every business wants to have contact with the media in order to
promote whatever it is they want to promote. Non-profits want to spread the
word of their activities. Community members want to contact the media and let
them know of a special planned event. The list could go on and on. Given
that, I think there is definitely a market for this functionality in
Microsoft Office Word.

Often times, journalists don't have the time read every press release that
comes across their computer screen, so the press release that best fits a
certain journalistic composition (inverted pyramid style), and form (AP
style), is the one most likely to be read. This would help all kinds of
organizations, profit and non-profit, to write better press releases, or
other publications, that are targeted to the media. It would assist them in
making sure their press release grabs the attention of the media organization
they are trying to reach. This, I think, would be a selling point.

Besides, companies produce plenty of specialized software targeted at a slew
of different niche markets all the time. You could just bundle it in to
another software suite, perhaps, and sell it as a "business solutions"
concept, a €śstudent edition,€ť or play nice and incorporate it in to the
existing Word software in a future release. I know I would buy it.

Just a suggestion, for the suggestion forum. I will however, try the
suggestions you have proposed below. Although, AP style goes beyond just
spelling. This would be the necessary function of the grammar usage
component, among other features.

Thanks.