elderDelp elderDelp is offline
Junior Member

Location: Rochester MN
Default wrapped footnote text in Word 2010 turns invisible

I have change tracking off, I am in print view and Word 2010. I inserted a footnote, I pasted plain text with a couple of line breaks into the footnote space, and edited the text.

A while later, I went back to the page and after the first line, the text was invisible.

I could select only the footnote number.

I started to write this post, and checked, yes the toolhint appears with all of the text, but it was still invisible at the bottom of the page.

Assuming that the text was there, and noticing from my post that it might have newlines in it, I blindly selected all of the potential footnote text and ran a useful macro I have written, MakeLinesParagraph, this made everything happy.

I decided to post anyway because you might run into a situation like this in the future.

here is the macro:

Sub MLP()
'
' Merge Lines into paragraph
' leaves a space at the end of the paragraph (not a desired effect)
'
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^p"
.Replacement.Text = " "
.Forward = True