Hamish McLean

Default Word - Insert Auto Text greyed out

My Insert Auto Text option for my headers and footers is greyed out and
I cannot activate it.

I have deleted my Normal.dot, recreateded it (Insert Auto Text works).
I save a new template and then the Inseret Auto Text option is greyed
out again. Strange this is my normal.dot works on other users PC.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hamish

--
Hamish McLeanPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Anne Troy

AutoText is only stored in Normal.dot, unless you specifically copy it over
to the new template. To do that, you can use the Organizer:

http://www.officearticles.com/word/u...osoft_word.htm

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Hamish McLean" Hamish.McLean.1s1ima@ wrote in message

My Insert Auto Text option for my headers and footers is greyed out and
I cannot activate it.

I have deleted my Normal.dot, recreateded it (Insert Auto Text works).
I save a new template and then the Inseret Auto Text option is greyed
out again. Strange this is my normal.dot works on other users PC.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hamish

--
Hamish McLeanPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Hamish,

My Insert Auto Text option for my headers and footers is greyed out and
I cannot activate it.

When you're in the header/footer, check the name of the style for the
current selection. Is it "Header" (or "Footer")? If not, this explains
why the list isn't active. "Categorized" AutoText is
style-context-dependent. If the style name doesn't match the AutoText
Category, the entries won't appear in the list; if the list is empty,
it's not enabled.

Either apply the Header (or Footer) style to the text. Or go to
Insert/AutoText/AutoText and you should be able to insert any AutoText
entry you wish.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Hamish McLean

Spot on.

I was replacing MS Normal.DOT with my own variety of Normal.DOT.

If I let Word recreate its own Normal.DOT and save my variety under a
different name (.DOT) it is fine.

Now, the next question is how do I get work to open my template as a
default instead of the Normal.dot?

Thanks
Hamish

--
Hamish McLeanPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Depends what you mean by "default." If you want Word to open with a blank
document based on your custom template, you can create a shortcut to your
template on the desktop or Start menu and use that to start Word. Or you can
create a shortcut to Word using the /ttemplatename switch (see the Help
topic "Customize how Word starts"). In either case, however, you'll still
get a document based on Normal.dot when you use the New button. You can
easily customize the New button to open the New dialog instead (assign the
button to the FileNewDialog command instead of FileNewDefault) and then
select your template.

Alternatively, depending on what types of changes you're incorporating in
your custom template, you may be able to use Normal.dot instead. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
letters - ask/fillin Caroline H New Users 2 February 25th 05 08:19 PM
Is there a Fast Search in Word? [email protected] New Users 14 February 11th 05 08:43 PM