Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenny BHS Kenny BHS is offline

Default How to make the Math Type Tool Bar appear in Word 2003

How can you make the Math Type Tool Bar appear in Word 2003. We recently
received new computers at our school and now our math teachers are wanting
Math Type back on the tool bar.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Benjamino5 Benjamino5 is offline

Kenny,

Open the View menu and go to Toolbars. In the submenu that appears, you
should see "MathType" listed near the very bottom. Checking that should cause
the toolbar to appear.

If "MathType" isn't in the list of toolbars, you may not have it installed,
or it may be somehow corrupted. If so, I would try uninstalling and
reinstalling it.

Good luck!
Ben
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

On 14-Nov-2006, Kenny wrote:

How can you make the Math Type Tool Bar appear in Word 2003.
We recently received new computers at our school and now our
math teachers are wanting Math Type back on the tool bar.

Kenny, I'm betting you don't have the latest version of MathType.
If your version of MathType is earlier than 5.2, you won't get
the MathType toolbar or the MathType menu on Word. MathType
version 5.2c is current.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Benjamino5 Benjamino5 is offline

Bob,

I notice you're from Design Science--that's very cool! I hope I'm not
hijacking this thread when I ask you if there is an official plan for Word
2007 support, especially in light of Microsoft dropping the old "MathType
Lite" editor.

Thanks,
Ben

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Benjamino5 Benjamino5 is offline

Suzanne,

You're right--MathType Lite a.k.a. the MS Equation Editor is still in Word
2007 (at least the compatibility is there, if not the old UI).

I'm wondering, though, about the regular version of MathType. As of Beta 2
TR of Word 2007, MathType's special Word add-ins don't work (the MathType
menu and toolbar).

It's not surprising, since Word 2007 doesn't have toolbars or menus. But
I'd love to see Design Science come up with a Ribbon-based add-in for Word
2007.

I should mention that you CAN use MathType with Word 2007 just as you would
in any application that supports embedding objects. What's missing are
commands like "Format Equations" and the like.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 15-Nov-2006, Benjamino5 wrote:

I notice you're from Design Science--that's very cool! I hope
I'm not hijacking this thread when I ask you if there is an
official plan for Word 2007 support, especially in light of
Microsoft dropping the old "MathType Lite" editor.

Ben, please see my answer in the new thread "Using MathType 5
with Office 2007".

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Default Using MathType with Office 2007

On 15-Nov-2006, in the thread "How to make the Math Type [sic]
Tool Bar appear in Word 2003", Ben wrote:

I notice you're from Design Science--that's very cool! I hope
I'm not hijacking this thread when I ask you if there is an
official plan for Word 2007 support, especially in light of
Microsoft dropping the old "MathType Lite" editor.

Ben, I wouldn't use the term "hijacking", but it's probably
better to use a new subject line. So I did.

So far, our results with both Windows Vista and Office 2007 have
been very favorable. Like you mention in another post though,
with Office 2007 you don't get the familiar MathType 5 toolbar
and menu. Here's the best solution for now...

Note that these steps represent a work-around for MathType 5.2c,
and as such may have potential for unanticipated problems. These
steps also may not work for versions other than 5.2c. We are
currently working on an upgrade to MathType for compatibility
with Office 2007 and the appropriate announcements will be made
upon its completion.

1. There are two files that must be copied: These files are
listed with their path as follows:

C:\Program Files\MathType\Office Support\MathType Commands 5 for
Word.dot
C:\Program Files\MathType\MathPage\MathPage.wll

2. Both these files must be copied to:

C:\Program Files\MicrosoftOffice\Office12\Startup

If your Trust settings are such that it prevents this from still
working, as an alternative, copy the files he

C:\Documents and Settings\User Account Name\Application
Support\Microsoft\Word\Startup

When you start Word, you will see a new Tab called Addins. Click
this tab to reveal the MathType toolbar and the MathType Menu.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Benjamino5 Benjamino5 is offline

Bob, thanks--that's great info!