Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Susan Susan is offline

Default Stand-Alone Word?

Is it possible to purchase Word as a stand-alone without the rest of Office?
Either now or in a year or so when I migrate everything to Windows 7?
--
~Susan~
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On May 9, 5:50*am, Susan wrote:
Is it possible to purchase Word as a stand-alone without the rest of Office? *
Either now or in a year or so when I migrate everything to Windows 7?
--
~Susan~

Yes. But if you think you might ever have any reason to use any of the
other components (Excel is the most likely), it wouldn't be economical
not to get one of the smaller "suites" right away.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Susan Susan is offline

If someone sends me an Excel or Powerpoint file extension can Word (or ?)
read it only or do I need to have those applications installed even if
looking at them only is all I have in mind doing? In the past at least I
believe the answer has been 'no', you must have those applications installed
but I can count on one hand still the times I've wanted to look at anything
other document outside of Word using some other Office document.

The last time I looked and/or called to see if I could buy Word as a
stand-alone app I got nowhere. Is it still called Word and/or is it bundled
in renamed something else in The Works for a whole lot less?
--
~Susan~

"grammatim" wrote:

On May 9, 5:50 am, Susan wrote:
Is it possible to purchase Word as a stand-alone without the rest of Office?
Either now or in a year or so when I migrate everything to Windows 7?
--
~Susan~

Yes. But if you think you might ever have any reason to use any of the
other components (Excel is the most likely), it wouldn't be economical
not to get one of the smaller "suites" right away.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote) Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote) is offline

There are viewers that will let you view those documents.

Download them for free:

Excel:

PowerPoint:

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
http://www.officeforlawyers.com
Author - The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/5m3f5q

:

"grammatim" wrote:

On May 9, 5:50 am, Susan wrote:

Is it possible to purchase Word as a stand-alone without the rest of Office?
Either now or in a year or so when I migrate everything to Windows 7?
--
~Susan~

Yes. But if you think you might ever have any reason to use any of the
other components (Excel is the most likely), it wouldn't be economical
not to get one of the smaller "suites" right away.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word is no longer offered as part of Works Suite (which apparently no longer
exists), and the word processor in Works is not Word. You can buy Word
freestanding, but it is actually more expensive than the Home & Student
Edition of Office (which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote),
which you can actually buy through today for $99.99; see
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx.

If you look at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...CL100571081033,
you will see that all the Office versions are listed, as are the individual
apps. The retail price for Word alone is $229 (or $109.95 for the upgrade if
you currently have Microsoft Word 2000€“2002; Microsoft Office Word 2003;
Microsoft Works 6.0€“10; Microsoft Works Suite 2000€“2006 or later; any
2000-2007 Microsoft Office suite; or any Microsoft Office XP suite.). For
more pricing information, see
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...754511033.aspx

http://word.mvps.org

"grammatim" wrote:

On May 9, 5:50 am, Susan wrote:
Is it possible to purchase Word as a stand-alone without the rest of
Office?
Either now or in a year or so when I migrate everything to Windows 7?
--
~Susan~

Yes. But if you think you might ever have any reason to use any of the
other components (Excel is the most likely), it wouldn't be economical
not to get one of the smaller "suites" right away.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Wow! I hope she sees this today!

If you look athttp://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX100487411033.aspx?pid=CL...,
more pricing information, seehttp://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX101754511033.aspx