Imperfect26

Default How do I update Word 2002 to create merged faxes?

On help it says:
"The Faxes option is not available in the Mail Merge Wizard unless faxing
support is installed, including the following..."

I have Microsoft Fax set up and I set up the fax transport service on
Outlook. Plus I have a Conexant D480 MDC v. 9x Modem. But when I go to do a
mail merge on Word, I still don't have the option to create faxes.

Peter Jamieson

If you have Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the "official" way is to have the
full Outlook (not Outlook Express) and merge to e-mail - see e.g.

However, the long and the short of it is that
a. the "Merge to fax" button/option is never enabled in Word 2003, and
probably never enabled in Word 2002/2000 on Win2k and later.
b. although it is possible to enable the button, Word actually uses exactly
the same method to send a fax (i.e. via MAPI/Outlook) as it uses to send an
e-mail. The only difference is that you see a slightly different Word dialog
box for setting up the fax.
c. if you want to fax to one of the new Internet fax services such as
Venali, as things stand I think your only option is to go the
merge-to-e-mail route.
d. however, as far as I know, if you have any images in your fax, faxing
via "merge to e-mail" will not format your document correctly (it's the step
that renders the e-mail into fax format that goes wrong).

If you really want to enable the merge to fax button, you need to create a
file called msmail.ini in your Windows directory (or WINNT
directory or whatever) with at least the following lines:

[EFAX Transport]
LocalFax=1

If you want to merge to a faxmodem and your merge is fairly simple (one fax
for
each record in the data source) you could try the following macro. However,
in Windows 2000 you may need to install the Windows fax software (if it is
not present, try Control Panel|Add/Remove programs| and remove
software|Add/Remove Windows components) first.

If you're going to try it, please read the notes, modify the macro to suit
your needs, and test it (a couple of other people have used the macro
successfully with various versions of Word and Windows)

If you're unfamiliar with VBA etc. getting this to work could be quite
difficult. A useful starting point is the Word MVPs site at
http://www.mvps.org/word , and specifically the following "get-you-started"
article

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Macros...eateAMacro.htm

The macro code:

'-----------------------------------------------------
Sub MergeOneFaxPerSourceRec()

' Disclaimer: Use this macro at your own risk.
' Purpose: Perform one Word mailmerge for each record in
' a Word data source, sending the results of each
' merge to a different fax number specified in a
' column of the data source
' Author: Peter J Jamieson
' Date: November 2003
' Assumes: Word 2000 or later (Word 97 might work)
' Windows 2000 or later, with the standard
' fax service software installed and
' configured to use a working fax device
' You have used Tools|References in the VBA
' editor to add the appropriate type library
' ("Faxcom 1.0 Type Library")
' You correctly adapt the macro to your
' environment
' Overview: The routine performs one merge per record
' in the data source. For each merge, the macro:
' - creates a new Word document
' - "prints" the document to the Fax printer,
' but outputting the result to a .tif file
' rather than allowing the fax printer to
' send the fax directly. This allows us to
' specify the fax number etc. in the macro
' rather than having to respond to the fax
' printer's dialog box.
' - submits the tif file to the fax service
' - discards the Word document
'
' Notes: This does not use the Extended Fax client API
' because it is not available in Windows 2000.
'
' This macro relies on the fax service to deliver
' the faxes once trhey have been submitted. You
' should use the fax service to verify which faxes
' have been sent and which, if any, failed. The fax
' service should retain a copy of each fax submitted
' so that retransmission should be feasible from
' within the service, i.e. without re-running the
' merge.

' NB, needs bettor error management and doubtless other
' things a VBA expert would point out.

' Specify the path for the .tif files saved by the Fax Printer
' This path must exist and the name should end with "\"
Const sTifFolder = "c:\tif\"
' Specify the name of the .tif file to output
Const sTifFile = "mergetif.tif"
' Specify the fax printer name that makes it all work
Const sFaxPrinter = "Fax"

Dim bFaxPortAvailable As Boolean
Dim bFaxServerAvailable As Boolean

Dim bTerminateMerge As Boolean

Dim lJobID As Long
Dim lSourceRecord As Long

Dim oApp As Word.Application
Dim oDataFields As Word.MailMergeDataFields
Dim oDoc As Word.Document
Dim oFaxDoc As FAXCOMLib.FaxDoc
Dim oFaxPort As FAXCOMLib.FaxPort
Dim oFaxPorts As FAXCOMLib.FaxPorts
Dim oFaxServer As FAXCOMLib.FaxServer
Dim oMerge As Word.MailMerge

Dim sActivePrinter As String
Dim sTifPath As String

' Phase 1.
' Connect to the Fax server
' and optionally see if a Port is available

Set oFaxServer = CreateObject("FaxServer.FaxServer")

If oFaxServer Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "Could not create a fax server object"
bFaxServerAvailable = False
Else
' This should connect us to the fax server on the current machine
oFaxServer.Connect Servername:=Environ("computername")
bFaxServerAvailable = True
bFaxPortAvailable = True

' begin optional section
' - ensure that at least one output port is available
' - not essential but we will just see an error later
' if no output port is available
Set oFaxPorts = oFaxServer.GetPorts
If oFaxPorts.Count = 0 Then
MsgBox "The fax server has no fax devices"
bFaxPortAvailable = False
Else
' look for a port that can send
For i = 1 To oFaxPorts.Count
Set oFaxPort = oFaxPorts.Item(i)
If oFaxPort.Send = 0 Then
Set oFaxPort = Nothing
Else
Exit For
End If
Next
If oFaxPort Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "The fax server has no ports configured to send faxes"
bFaxPortAvailable = False
Else
' at the moment we do not use the FaxPort object to get status
' info. so just get rid of it
Set oFaxPort = Nothing
End If
End If
' we do not need this either
Set oFaxPorts = Nothing
' end optional section

End If

' Phase 2.
' We can fax, so set up the printer
' and start the merges.

If bFaxServerAvailable And bFaxPortAvailable Then

' You may need to change this
Set oApp = Application

' The mail merge main document is assumed
' to be the active document in the current
' instance of Word
Set oDoc = oApp.ActiveDocument
Set oMerge = oDoc.MailMerge
Set oDataFields = oMerge.DataSource.DataFields

' save and set up the active printer
sActivePrinter = oApp.ActivePrinter
' don't change the printer if it is already
' correctly set up
' (I had problems when I tried to switch
' to the fax printer in code)
' you may need to adjust this for your
' fax printer name
If Left(sActivePrinter, 3) sFaxPrinter Then
oApp.ActivePrinter = sFaxPrinter
End If

With oMerge

' If no data source has been defined,
' do it here using OpenDataSource.
' But if it is already defined in the document,
' you should not need to define it here.

' .OpenDataSource _
' Name:="whatever"

lSourceRecord = 1
bTerminateMerge = False

Do Until bTerminateMerge
.DataSource.ActiveRecord = lSourceRecord

' if we have gone past the end
' (and possibly, if there are no records)
' then the Activerecord will not be what
' we have just tried to set it to

If .DataSource.ActiveRecord lSourceRecord Then
bTerminateMerge = True
Else
.DataSource.FirstRecord = lSourceRecord
.DataSource.LastRecord = lSourceRecord
.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
.Execute

' Word always sets the output document produced
' by the merge to be the ActiveDocument

' Now print to the fax printer, specifying an
' OutputFileName.
' Specifying Background:=False is
' particularly important or the fax stage
' will fail later

' create the full path name for the file.
' (done separately so you can change the way
' you create the name and re-use the name later)

sTifPath = sTifFolder + sTifFile
oApp.PrintOut _
Background:=False, _
Append:=False, _
Range:=wdPrintAllDocument, _
OutputFileName:=sTifPath, _
Item:=wdPrintDocumentContent, _
Copies:=1, _
PageType:=wdPrintAllPages, _
PrintToFile:=True

' Don't need the document any more
oApp.ActiveDocument.Close Savechanges:=False

' Now make a FaxDocument
Set oFaxDoc = oFaxServer.CreateDocument(sTifPath)
If oFaxDoc Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "Could not create the fax document"
' you could consider finishing here by setting
' TerminateMerge = True
Else
' fill in whatever details you need
' from the data source or elsewhere
With oFaxDoc
' The number to send to. The only really essential
' piece of information. Here we get it from
' a field in the data source called "faxnumber"
.FaxNumber = oDataFields("faxnumber")

' DisplayName is a "user-friendly" name used
' by the Fax Server when you e.g. inspect the
' current fax status

' here we get it from a field in the data source
' called ufname
.DisplayName = oDataFields("ufname")
' here we just set it to ""
'.DisplayName = ""

' If you want a cover page, set SendCoverPage
' to a nonzero value. You could define whether
' or not you want a cover page, and which
' page to use, in your data source. However,
' if you specify a cover page, you /must/
' provide a valid name for the page. This code
' does not verify whether you do or not.
.SendCoverpage = 0

' If the cover page (.cov file) is a common
' cover page located on the server (i.e. in the
' default folder), set ServerCoverPage=-1
' and provide the name of the cover page
' If the cover page is somewhere else,
' set ServerCoverPage=0 and specify the
' full path name of the cover page
.ServerCoverpage = 1
.CoverpageName = ""

' The following items may be used in the coverpage
' or they may be displayed in fax service status
' dialog boxes. The items visible in the Win2000
' fax status are indicated by
'** displayed in dialog

.CoverpageNote = ""
.CoverpageSubject = ""
.EmailAddress = ""
.RecipientAddress = ""
.RecipientCity = ""
.RecipientCompany = ""
.RecipientCountry = ""
.RecipientDepartment = ""
.RecipientHomePhone = ""
'** displayed in dialog
.RecipientName = ""
.RecipientOffice = ""
.RecipientOfficePhone = ""
.RecipientState = ""
.RecipientTitle = ""
.RecipientZip = ""
.SenderAddress = ""
'** displayed in dialog
.SenderCompany = ""
'** displayed in dialog
.SenderDepartment = ""
.SenderFax = ""
.SenderHomePhone = ""
'** displayed in dialog
.SenderName = ""
.SenderOffice = ""
.SenderOfficePhone = ""
.SenderTitle = ""

'** displayed in dialog
.BillingCode = ""

' DiscountSend = 0 means "send immediately
' If you have set up discount periods, setting
' DiscountSend to a nonzero value will make the
' fax service send in a discount period
.DiscountSend = 0

' In theory, the TSID is the Fax sender ID printed
' on the fax, i.e. typically your contact fax number,
' but the value set up in the fax service appears to
' override any value set here.
'.Tsid = ""
End With

' Now send the thing. We don't actually do anything
' with the ID except check it is nonzero

lJobID = oFaxDoc.Send()
Set oFaxDoc = Nothing
End If
End If
' move to the next record
lSourceRecord = lSourceRecord + 1
Loop
End With

' All done. Restore the previous printer
' if necessary. You may need to tweak this
If Left(sActivePrinter, 3) sFaxPrinter Then
oApp.ActivePrinter = sActivePrinter
End If

Set oDataFields = Nothing
Set oMerge = Nothing
Set oDoc = Nothing

'Set oApp = Nothing

End If

If bFaxServerAvailable Then
oFaxServer.Disconnect
Set oFaxServer = Nothing
End If

End Sub

--
Peter Jamieson
"Imperfect26" wrote in message
On help it says:
"The Faxes option is not available in the Mail Merge Wizard unless faxing
support is installed, including the following..."

I have Microsoft Fax set up and I set up the fax transport service on
Outlook. Plus I have a Conexant D480 MDC v. 9x Modem. But when I go to
do a
mail merge on Word, I still don't have the option to create faxes.

In typing dates in Word, i.e. "January 12" how do you keep the "1. Carol Microsoft Word Help 2 January 12th 05 09:09 PM
WP Delay Code - Word Equiv Mike G - Milw, WI Microsoft Word Help 6 January 10th 05 05:12 PM
How to change merge forms from Word Perfect to Microsoft Word dollfindance Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 04:35 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 04:01 AM
Word 2000 create and distribute merged faxes? Donna Mailmerge 1 December 18th 04 05:47 PM