Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
SorrentoBob SorrentoBob is offline

Default INCLUDETEXT

In 2003 I could use INCLUDETEXT to call another document or documents into a
'master 'document. That secondary document is linked to the same data file as
the master and includes mergefields from that data file.In 2003 the merge
works perfectly and pulls in the approopriate seconary document or documents
for each record. In 2007 I set up the docs in the same way, BUT when the
merge runs it stops at EVERY record to inform me that that the secondary
document is linked to the data file and requires me to click OK. Any ideas?
--
Thanks,
SorrentoBob
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

SorrentoBob,

Try making the source documents a trusted location(s) in Word Options.

"SorrentoBob" wrote in message
In 2003 I could use INCLUDETEXT to call another document or documents
into a
'master 'document. That secondary document is linked to the same data file
as
the master and includes mergefields from that data file.In 2003 the merge
works perfectly and pulls in the approopriate seconary document or
documents
for each record. In 2007 I set up the docs in the same way, BUT when the
merge runs it stops at EVERY record to inform me that that the secondary
document is linked to the data file and requires me to click OK. Any
ideas?
--
Thanks,
SorrentoBob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
SorrentoBob SorrentoBob is offline

Thanks, Jules.
By source doccuments do you mean the documents the master is calling in or
the master? Unfortunately I won't be able to test this until I get back to a
computer with 2007!
--
Thanks,
SorrentoBob

"Jules" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Is the message that you are getting

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command"

If so, see the following Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"SorrentoBob" wrote in message
In 2003 I could use INCLUDETEXT to call another document or documents
into a
'master 'document. That secondary document is linked to the same data file
as
the master and includes mergefields from that data file.In 2003 the merge
works perfectly and pulls in the approopriate seconary document or
documents
for each record. In 2007 I set up the docs in the same way, BUT when the
merge runs it stops at EVERY record to inform me that that the secondary
document is linked to the data file and requires me to click OK. Any
ideas?
--
Thanks,
SorrentoBob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
SorrentoBob SorrentoBob is offline

Doug,
Thanks. The resource you sent me to leaves me puzzled.
The site says there is a work around but it involves compromising security.
In short, there is no safe way to run a merge in 2007 that invokes other
documents. Since the merge stops for EVERY record and displays that message,
WORD 2007 mail merge cannot be safely used to do this kind of merge. I have
built literally hundreds of complex merges for schools all over the country
in pre-2007 versions that use that capability perfectly without styopping at
every recoird. How sad...and strange.
--
Thanks,
SorrentoBob

"SorrentoBob" wrote:

In 2003 I could use INCLUDETEXT to call another document or documents into a
'master 'document. That secondary document is linked to the same data file as
the master and includes mergefields from that data file.In 2003 the merge
works perfectly and pulls in the approopriate seconary document or documents
for each record. In 2007 I set up the docs in the same way, BUT when the
merge runs it stops at EVERY record to inform me that that the secondary
document is linked to the data file and requires me to click OK. Any ideas?
--
Thanks,
SorrentoBob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi SorrentoBob,

The only reason the other computers to which you refer might not already have been getting the prompts is that they're using Word
2000 or earlier, or their copies of Word 2002 & 2003 weren't up-to-date.

The mods referred to in the article merely stop the 'SQLSecurityCheck' thus restoring the security level to what it was before the
patch that introduced the prompt was applied.

--
Cheers
macropod

"SorrentoBob" wrote:

In 2003 I could use INCLUDETEXT to call another document or documents into a
'master 'document. That secondary document is linked to the same data file as
the master and includes mergefields from that data file.In 2003 the merge
works perfectly and pulls in the approopriate seconary document or documents
for each record. In 2007 I set up the docs in the same way, BUT when the
merge runs it stops at EVERY record to inform me that that the secondary
document is linked to the data file and requires me to click OK. Any ideas?
--
Thanks,
SorrentoBob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
SorrentoBob SorrentoBob is offline

Thanks, Macropod,

In earlier versions than 2007 that prompt always appeared, but onlynce when
I opened the master document, but bever once again for each record. In myu
work that could be hundredss of times to get the merge done.
By the way, the prompt does not appearf for each record if the documents
inserted by INCLUDETYEXT have not been associated with the data file (because
they have no merge fields iun them).

So, if I understand your info, resetting the secuirty will not remove all
security but just an additional level...and the prompt will never appear,
even for the master document?

Thanks, again!
--
Thanks,
SorrentoBob

"SorrentoBob" wrote:

In 2003 I could use INCLUDETEXT to call another document or documents into a
'master 'document. That secondary document is linked to the same data file as
the master and includes mergefields from that data file.In 2003 the merge
works perfectly and pulls in the approopriate seconary document or documents
for each record. In 2007 I set up the docs in the same way, BUT when the
merge runs it stops at EVERY record to inform me that that the secondary
document is linked to the data file and requires me to click OK. Any ideas?
--
Thanks,
SorrentoBob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi SorrentoBob,

Its not so much that there are INCLUDETEXT fields or MERGEFIELDS in the linked documents that is the problem, but that that linked
documents are (re)triggering the SQL. As I understand it, a mailmerge that doesn't use SQL statements, including in the linked
documents, won't generate the warning.

As for the effect of resetting the secuirty, that's how I read the article. In any event, you could reset the 'SQLSecurityCheck'
value - presumably '00000001' would reactivate it. If you're using vba in your main mailmerge document, this opens up the
possibility of setting/resetting the key just for the duration of the mailmerge.

--
Cheers
macropod

"SorrentoBob" wrote:

In 2003 I could use INCLUDETEXT to call another document or documents into a
'master 'document. That secondary document is linked to the same data file as
the master and includes mergefields from that data file.In 2003 the merge
works perfectly and pulls in the approopriate seconary document or documents
for each record. In 2007 I set up the docs in the same way, BUT when the
merge runs it stops at EVERY record to inform me that that the secondary
document is linked to the data file and requires me to click OK. Any ideas?
--
Thanks,
SorrentoBob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

macropod wrote:
If you're using vba in
your main mailmerge document, this opens up the possibility of
setting/resetting the key just for the duration of the mailmerge.

Having opened up that possibility and given that it is too hot and humid
here to provide the inclination to go out on an August Saturday afternoon -
how about

Sub ToggleSQLSecurity()
Dim WSHShell, RegKey, rKeyWord, wVer
Set WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
wVer = Application.Version
If wVer 10 Then
MsgBox "This macro is for Word 2002 and later!", vbOKOnly, "Wrong Word
Version"
Exit Sub
End If
Start:
RegKey = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\" & wVer &
"\Word\Options\"
On Error Resume Next 'The registry key does not exist
rKeyWord = WSHShell.RegRead(RegKey & "SQLSecurityCheck")
If rKeyWord = "" Then 'if the added key has no number
WSHShell.regwrite RegKey & "SQLSecurityCheck", 1, "REG_DWORD" 'set it at
zero
GoTo Start: 'and read it again
End If
If rKeyWord = 1 Then
WSHShell.regwrite RegKey & "SQLSecurityCheck", 0, "REG_DWORD"
Else
WSHShell.regwrite RegKey & "SQLSecurityCheck", 1, "REG_DWORD"
End If
End Sub

This will create and/or toggle the SQL Security Check registry key and will
work with any Word version

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

too hot and humid here to provide the inclination to go out on an August Saturday afternoon
Ah, what a difference a hemisphere makes. I'm staying inside 'cause it's too cold to stay outside.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message ...
macropod wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi SorrentoBob,

An alternative would be to ensure all your SQLs and MERGEFIELDs are in the main document. If you've got a MERGEFIELD in the linked
document, the way to do this is to bookmark all of the linked document's text before & after each MERGEFIELD (one more bookmark than
the number of MERGEFIELDs will be needed) and move the MERGEFIELDs to the main document. In the main document, make multiple copies
of your INCLUDETEXT fields and point them to the relevant bookmarks in the linked docuument.

That way, even without the registry change, you should get no SQL prompts at all.

--

"SorrentoBob" wrote:

In 2003 I could use INCLUDETEXT to call another document or documents into a
'master 'document. That secondary document is linked to the same data file as
the master and includes mergefields from that data file.In 2003 the merge
works perfectly and pulls in the approopriate seconary document or documents
for each record. In 2007 I set up the docs in the same way, BUT when the
merge runs it stops at EVERY record to inform me that that the secondary
document is linked to the data file and requires me to click OK. Any ideas?
--
Thanks,
SorrentoBob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The INCLUDETEXTed document should not need to be set up as a MailMerge Main
document with a data source. When it contains MERGEFIELD fields, they take
their values from the data source attached to the "master" document. The
main benefit to having the included document also attached to the data
source is probably that it lets you use the mailmerge "insert field" toolbar
stuff to modify your included document.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"SorrentoBob" wrote in message
In 2003 I could use INCLUDETEXT to call another document or documents
into a
'master 'document. That secondary document is linked to the same data file
as
the master and includes mergefields from that data file.In 2003 the merge
works perfectly and pulls in the approopriate seconary document or
documents
for each record. In 2007 I set up the docs in the same way, BUT when the
merge runs it stops at EVERY record to inform me that that the secondary
document is linked to the data file and requires me to click OK. Any
ideas?
--
Thanks,
SorrentoBob

IncludeText Help!! Randy Microsoft Word Help 1 May 2nd 08 12:01 PM
IncludeText Randy Microsoft Word Help 2 February 21st 08 07:39 PM
IncludeText sonia New Users 5 September 10th 07 09:46 AM
using INCLUDETEXT? BrendaLL Microsoft Word Help 2 March 9th 06 06:42 AM
IncludeText Janna Tables 0 February 19th 05 03:35 PM