Dave

Default Autorecovery 'ghost' files in Word

I am running Office Pro 2003 on a Windows 2003 server operating in terminal
server mode. When any of the users open Word, the auto recovery panel shows
2 files (same name, different dates) that are available to be recovered.
When I attempt to save either file, an alert says that 'word experienced an
error trying to open the file' even when I am logged in as Administrator.
I have deleted all remnants of these files from the server, cleaned out
temporary folders and the Word folder under App Data for each user....but
still these two files appear almost every time that Word is opened.

How can I make these ghosts go away? Thanks.
Graham Mayor

You make them go away by ignoring them. These are not Word documents, but
temporary files. Word removes them automatically when it is closed. There is
no automatic backup option built into Word, but see
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

If these files remain after Word is closed, reboot then checkout
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Dave wrote:
I am running Office Pro 2003 on a Windows 2003 server operating in
terminal server mode. When any of the users open Word, the auto
recovery panel shows 2 files (same name, different dates) that are
available to be recovered. When I attempt to save either file, an
alert says that 'word experienced an error trying to open the file'
even when I am logged in as Administrator.
I have deleted all remnants of these files from the server, cleaned
out temporary folders and the Word folder under App Data for each
user....but still these two files appear almost every time that Word
is opened.

How can I make these ghosts go away? Thanks.

Dave

Graham,
- Thanks for the info; but this didn't solve my problem. I've seen your
many replies on this topic and been to both pages you linked. I've followed
the guidance (search, destroy file remnants) in your "what to do when Word
crashes" document and rebooted twice, but the two autorecovery files still
appear whenever any of my users launch Word....and noone can save or
otherwise recover the files that are shown.
- Is there some way to prevent the auto recovery panel from appearing when
Word starts? This is a minor problem, but just darn aggrevating because I've
tried to kill these 'ghosts' so many times.
- Maybe this is something unique to terminal services.
Thanks again - Dave