Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Molly McD Molly McD is offline

Default Keyword Index

I need to create an index or list of every word in a document with page and
line number where it appears. Court reporters do this with their software
programs (not Word!). Can I do it with Word 2003?

--
Molly McD
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have a list of words you want indexed, you can use a concordance file
to automatically mark words for indexing (look for the AutoMark button in
the Index dialog box). As to whether you want ALL words in the document
indexed (do you really want every occurrence of "a", "the", and "and"
indexed?), well, that's up to you. Using an existing document to generate
the list of words to index would require a little finesse, but it can be
done. You might even be able to find existing/comprehensive word lists
online that will serve your needs.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Molly McD" wrote in message
I need to create an index or list of every word in a document with page
and
line number where it appears. Court reporters do this with their software
programs (not Word!). Can I do it with Word 2003?

--
Molly McD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Molly McD Molly McD is offline

Thanks for your reply, Herb. A couple more questions: What is a concordance
file? How would I go about (even though requiring finesse) using an existing
document? And no, I do not want the a's, an's, and the's. It seems to me
that WordPerfect used to have this indexing feature. Since I'm transcribing
and typing at 150+ words per minute, I don't want to be slowed down by having
to "mark" words to index.
--
Molly McD

"Molly McD" wrote in message
I need to create an index or list of every word in a document with page
and
line number where it appears. Court reporters do this with their software
programs (not Word!). Can I do it with Word 2003?

--
Molly McD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word 2003's Help file is pretty good in describing what a concordance file is and how to create one:

Automatically mark entries by using a concordance file

1.. Create a concordance file (concordance file: A list of words to include in an index. Use a concordance file in Microsoft Word to quickly mark index entries.).
How?

1.. Click Insert Table on the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.).
2.. Drag to select two columns.
3.. In the first column, enter the text you want Microsoft Word to search for and mark as an index entry. Make sure to enter the text exactly as it appears in the document. Then press TAB.
4.. In the second column, type the index entry for the text in the first column. Then press TAB. If you want to create a subentry (subentry: An index entry that falls under a more general heading. For example, the index entry "planets" could have the subentries "Mars" and "Venus."), type the main entry followed by a colon ( and the subentry.
5.. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each index reference and entry.
6.. Save the concordance file.
To create a word list using an existing document, I would begin by using Find/Replace to replace all spaces with paragraph marks, so that the words are in a list. I would next sort them (Table - Sort will sort text even if it's not in a table). Then I would eliminate the duplicates and small words I don't want included.

--

"Molly McD" wrote in message
I need to create an index or list of every word in a document with page
and
line number where it appears. Court reporters do this with their software
programs (not Word!). Can I do it with Word 2003?

--
Molly McD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Molly McD Molly McD is offline

Your last suggestion for the existing document will give me a list, but it is
not going to tell me what page/line number the word appears. Any way to
accomplish THAT?
--
Molly McD

"Molly McD" wrote in message
I need to create an index or list of every word in a document with page
and
line number where it appears. Court reporters do this with their software
programs (not Word!). Can I do it with Word 2003?

--
Molly McD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use the list you have created to make the concordance file discussed
throught the rest of the message.

"Molly McD" wrote in message
I need to create an index or list of every word in a document
with page and
line number where it appears. Court reporters do this with their
software programs (not Word!). Can I do it with Word 2003?

--
Molly McD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry. I assumed you were already familiar with the rest of the process:

Use the word list to create the concordance file (as described in the Help
snippet I posted earlier).

Use the AutoMark command in the Index dialog box to feed the concordance
file to Word in the document you want indexed.

That process will mark the words in the list... in the document.

Inserting an index in the document will then give you a list of words with
the page numbers.

See if this helps:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/Formatting/CreateIndex.htm