Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
C C is offline

Default Mail merge limit word 2000

Hi all

I noticed somewhere on the word Microsoft site that word 2000 had a limit of
63 fields that it could use in a mail merge, but I am currently working on a
file that has 65 fields on it and it needs to grow some more.

could some please verify the limit if there is one and has this changed in
later versions of offices. I cant seem to find any updates on the web.

thanks very much
Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
C C is offline

Sorry, added info

I am on xp pro and I am using a CSV/txt file for my data source

"C" wrote in message
Hi all

I noticed somewhere on the word Microsoft site that word 2000 had a limit
of 63 fields that it could use in a mail merge, but I am currently working
on a file that has 65 fields on it and it needs to grow some more.

could some please verify the limit if there is one and has this changed in
later versions of offices. I cant seem to find any updates on the web.

thanks very much
Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The limit of 63 fields only really applies if your data source is a Word
table, because they cannot have more than 63 columns.

Generally speaking if your data source is a text file, you can have far more
columns (I do not think that there is a published limit, but there are
people with over 1000. That said, the larger and more complex the file gets,
the less likely Word is to recognise the file format easily, and at that
point, people sometimes have to choose another format). So if you're just
adding a few, you should be OK for a long time yet.

Things have changed a bit in Word 2002/2003 but mainly it's to do with the
default method that Word uses to open text and other files. If you have
problems in those versions of Word, the first thing to try is to check Word
Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion at Open", then re-connect to your
data source. You should see an additional box that lets you select the
connection method. But if you need to be sure that /your/ application will
work on Word 2002/2003, there's really only one way and that's to try it
with that version.

Peter Jamieson
"C" wrote in message
Hi all

I noticed somewhere on the word Microsoft site that word 2000 had a limit
of 63 fields that it could use in a mail merge, but I am currently working
on a file that has 65 fields on it and it needs to grow some more.

could some please verify the limit if there is one and has this changed in
later versions of offices. I cant seem to find any updates on the web.

thanks very much
Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
C C is offline

Thanks very much for that,

that's great news

I should only need 100 - 150 fields max, so I should be ok with that

as for 2002 and 3 we have various versions in the offices so I will give it
a test

we are planning to upgrade to everyone 07 later in the year are there many
other changes I should look out for

I don't want to have to remake this

thanks again
Craig

"C" wrote in message
Hi all

I noticed somewhere on the word Microsoft site that word 2000 had a limit
of 63 fields that it could use in a mail merge, but I am currently
working on a file that has 65 fields on it and it needs to grow some
more.

could some please verify the limit if there is one and has this changed
in later versions of offices. I cant seem to find any updates on the web.

thanks very much
Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I should only need 100 - 150 fields max, so I should be ok with that

"Experiment first, relax later" is my motto :-)

we are planning to upgrade to everyone 07 later in the year are there
many other changes I should look out for

As far as MailMerge is concerned,
a. there were significant changes betwen 2000 and 2002/2003: The standard
user interface is different. Word tries to connect to most types of data
source using OLEDB by default. In 2000 it can't use OLEDB, and uses DDE by
default for Access and Excel, and converters or ODBC for other things. There
are more security-related pop-ups. Some fields behave differently if they
are nested inside IF fields. And so on. You'll find various pages of very
useful stuff in the Word section of Graham Mayor's site at www.gmayor.com
to do with that.
b. the most noticeable change in 2007 is in the user interface of course. I
would say it is better for Mailmerge than 2002/2003 but still very
unfamiliar for 2000 users. A less noticeable changes is that 2002/2003 used
OLEDB+the Access/Jet engine to connect to Access, Excel, and some other
types of data source. Jet has been modified and renamed as "Ace", and that's
what Word 2007 now uses - it has to, in order to be able to connect to Excel
XML format .xlsx files, for example.
c. other than that, I haven't been using 2007 long enough to find other
things that might "break".

Peter Jamieson

"C" wrote in message
Hi all

I noticed somewhere on the word Microsoft site that word 2000 had a
limit of 63 fields that it could use in a mail merge, but I am currently
working on a file that has 65 fields on it and it needs to grow some
more.

could some please verify the limit if there is one and has this changed
in later versions of offices. I cant seem to find any updates on the
web.

thanks very much
Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
C C is offline

thanks for that

I will bear that motto in mind

;-)
Craig

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
I should only need 100 - 150 fields max, so I should be ok with that

"Experiment first, relax later" is my motto :-)

we are planning to upgrade to everyone 07 later in the year are there
many other changes I should look out for

As far as MailMerge is concerned,
a. there were significant changes betwen 2000 and 2002/2003: The standard
user interface is different. Word tries to connect to most types of data
source using OLEDB by default. In 2000 it can't use OLEDB, and uses DDE by
default for Access and Excel, and converters or ODBC for other things.
There are more security-related pop-ups. Some fields behave differently if
they are nested inside IF fields. And so on. You'll find various pages of
very useful stuff in the Word section of Graham Mayor's site at
www.gmayor.com to do with that.

"C" wrote in message
Hi all

I noticed somewhere on the word Microsoft site that word 2000 had a
limit of 63 fields that it could use in a mail merge, but I am
currently working on a file that has 65 fields on it and it needs to
grow some more.

could some please verify the limit if there is one and has this changed
in later versions of offices. I cant seem to find any updates on the
web.

thanks very much
Craig

Mail merge in Word from Outlook Catagories stephen Mailmerge 7 December 11th 06 07:48 PM
printing difficultiies using mail merge in word flybynight Mailmerge 1 December 3rd 06 07:58 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 07:26 PM
mail merge - Access 2000 and Word 2000 DawnMKA Mailmerge 1 March 26th 05 12:20 PM