Elias

Default how to create a file that has tabs (on top or on the left)

Dear friends,
I want to create a document (preferably in word) that contains a dictionary
for my personal use. I want to put tabs in the file so that by clicking e.g.
on 'A' it will take me to the part of the document that has the words
starting with A. The ideal is to be similar to an Excel file with many
sheets. Can this be done in Word?
I would appreciate any replies.
Thank you very much in advance.

CyberTaz

Hi Elias-

Word doesn't work that way. I believe I saw a post some time ago where that
effect could be had through some rather complex VBA, but this is a whole lot
simpler if it meets your requirements...

Caption each grouping in your dictionary as A, B, C, etc. & format each
caption using a Heading Style (1, 2, 3, whatever). Then use the ViewDocument
Map, which will give you a list of your headings A-Z. Simply click the one
you want to go to. You can also turn the DocMap pane on/off as you wish.

HTH |:)

"Elias" wrote:

Dear friends,
I want to create a document (preferably in word) that contains a dictionary
for my personal use. I want to put tabs in the file so that by clicking e.g.
on 'A' it will take me to the part of the document that has the words
starting with A. The ideal is to be similar to an Excel file with many
sheets. Can this be done in Word?
I would appreciate any replies.
Thank you very much in advance.

Charles Kenyon

In addition, if you use the heading styles mentioned, you can generate a
table of contents which will be hyperlinked to the sections listed in the
TOC. Pressing Alt -- will bring you back to the TOC. (That is, Alt- left
arrow)
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.