Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shirlene Shirlene is offline

Default What is % in a file name?

When we save a file to a diskette, how can you avoid seeing % in the file
name? I'm using Word 2003.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] is offline

Don't use spaces?

"Shirlene" wrote in message
: When we save a file to a diskette, how can you avoid seeing % in the file
: name? I'm using Word 2003.
:
: Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Never ever read from, write to, or print from floppy with Word. These are
the most certain methods of ensuring document corruption.

Save to the hard disc and COPY the document to the floppy..

This is equally relevant to other removable media such as CDRW.

Shirlene wrote:
When we save a file to a diskette, how can you avoid seeing % in the
file name? I'm using Word 2003.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Shirlene,

For Word's web compatibility features Word documents, when saved to the root folder, example A:\ , are saved by Word with a
replacement for each space in the file name with
%20
which is the encoding for a 'space' character. Other punctuation characters may also be replaced with % leader entity
characters.

You don't normally see this on your hard drive because you're saving in a non root folder such as C:\My Documents\

If you create a folder on your diskette (however see Graham's message) and save there you should no longer see the replacement of
space characters.

If you do choose to work with removable media when using Word be sure that

1. You have the removable media in place when you start Word and don't change diskettes, thumbdrives, chips, etc while Word is
open.

2. That in Tools=Options=Save
you permanently
(a) Turn Off - Allow Fast Saves
(b) Turn On - 'Make local copy...'

3. In Tools=Options=General
you permanently Turn On
'Confirm Conversions at Open'

To somewhat reduce the risks of lost data and work
==============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When I was having my templates problem, Jay gave some filepaths that
included % as fences around parts of the string, and the abbreviated
string took me right to both of the (hidden?) folders containing
templates (the Templates folder and the Word Startup folder). So %
also performs some sort of abbreviating and guiding function.

On Nov 4, 2:36*pm, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

That's something different. When you type % signs both before and after a
word -- but only in certain places such as the address bar of Windows
Explorer and certain places in a command window -- then Windows tries to
look up that word in the list of environment variables. If the word is the
name of an existing variable, the expression is replaced by the value of the
variable.

You can see the list of variables by opening a command window, typing SET,
and pressing Enter.

The one I had mentioned before is %appdata%, whose value is the path to a
hidden folder. On Windows XP it points to C:\Documents and Settings\profile
name\Application Data, and in Windows Vista it points to C:\Users\profile
name\AppData\Roaming. So it's convenient in two ways: it takes you to the
folder even though it's hidden, and you don't have to know the profile name
or remember the different forms of the path on different Windows versions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman