Eli75

Default How to insert Page No of No of "Section" Pages

Hi, I have difficulty to create document that thas a Front Page that is not
numbered, but numbers start from Second Page in document and have to say
"Page No from Number of Pages". The problem is that I always get figure for
Number of Pages the number that includes Front Page....

I do know how to insert Section Breaks, I do know how to get Page No 1 on
second page of whole document BUT IT IS "Number of Pages" that mess the whole
process.
Graham Mayor

If there is only the front page causing the problem then you could avoid
section breaks altogether and simply insert a calculated field in the
header/footer . The following will start the numbering from page 2 in the
manner required

{ IF{ Page } 1 "Page { ={ Page }-1 } from { ={ Numpages }-1 }" }

Eli75 wrote:
Hi, I have difficulty to create document that thas a Front Page that
is not numbered, but numbers start from Second Page in document and
have to say "Page No from Number of Pages". The problem is that I
always get figure for Number of Pages the number that includes Front
Page....

I do know how to insert Section Breaks, I do know how to get Page No
1 on second page of whole document BUT IT IS "Number of Pages" that
mess the whole process.

tjtjjtjt

Someone may have a more elegant solution, but this will work for a simple
document:
Select the total page number.
Press Ctrl+[F9].
You should end up with something like this: { 7 }
Change it to: { =7-1 }

tj

"Eli75" wrote:

Hi, I have difficulty to create document that thas a Front Page that is not
numbered, but numbers start from Second Page in document and have to say
"Page No from Number of Pages". The problem is that I always get figure for
Number of Pages the number that includes Front Page....

I do know how to insert Section Breaks, I do know how to get Page No 1 on
second page of whole document BUT IT IS "Number of Pages" that mess the whole
process.

Eli75

Hi Graham, I tried to copy your string into the footer but it just got
displayed as it is ... { IF{ Page } 1 "Page { ={ Page }-1 } from { ={
Numpages }-1 }" }

Should I enter some information extra or have I made some other mistake....?
(I am using Office 2003). Thank you.

Eli75 wrote:
Hi, I have difficulty to create document that thas a Front Page that
is not numbered, but numbers start from Second Page in document and
have to say "Page No from Number of Pages". The problem is that I
always get figure for Number of Pages the number that includes Front
Page....

I do know how to insert Section Breaks, I do know how to get Page No
1 on second page of whole document BUT IT IS "Number of Pages" that
mess the whole process.

Eli75

Hi, I tried your suggestion but it didn't work for me.... Firstly I don't get
figure for No: of pages, but all what I see is {NUMPAGES} and then when I
select Ctrl+[F9] I just end up with extra pair of bracekts {} either around
whole word or where ever cursor happen to be (within NUMPAGES)

"Eli75" wrote:

Hi, I have difficulty to create document that thas a Front Page that is not
numbered, but numbers start from Second Page in document and have to say
"Page No from Number of Pages". The problem is that I always get figure for
Number of Pages the number that includes Front Page....

I do know how to insert Section Breaks, I do know how to get Page No 1 on
second page of whole document BUT IT IS "Number of Pages" that mess the whole
process.

Daiya Mitchell

If it's only 1 page, you should be able to set the doc to start counting
pages at 0, by using Format Page Number icon from the Header/footer toolbar.
Then the title page will be 0, no section breaks needed.

Alternatively, if the doc has only 2 sections (title page and main text),
use a SectionPages field instead of NumPages.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Graham Mayor

These are fields not text. You need to insert the field boundaries {} with
CTRL+F9 for each pair. Right click and toggle the display (or ALT+F9) then
F9 to update to show the result.

Eli75 wrote:
Hi, I have difficulty to create document that thas a Front Page that
is not numbered, but numbers start from Second Page in document and
have to say "Page No from Number of Pages". The problem is that I
always get figure for Number of Pages the number that includes Front
Page....

I do know how to insert Section Breaks, I do know how to get Page No
1 on second page of whole document BUT IT IS "Number of Pages" that
mess the whole process.

Daiya Mitchell

On 11/29/04 5:32 AM, "Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

If it's only 1 page, you should be able to set the doc to start counting
pages at 0, by using Format Page Number icon from the Header/footer toolbar.
Then the title page will be 0, no section breaks needed.

Sorry. With that option, you would still need to subtract 1 from the
NumPages field, as others have suggested doing.
DM

Eli75

Thank you for guidance. I have now used (CTRL+F9)... however I now get this
error message
"Error! Unknown op cod for conditional.Error! Unknown op code for
conditional.Error!" and so on....
Is this because I only entered brackets {} and words PAGES and NUMPAGES
using (CTRL+F9) and selecting appropiate fileds from ToolBar for PAGES and
NUMPAGES expressions. Do I need to use similar method for words and signs
like: from, IF, , 1 and " or these can be typed as a text.....?

Eli75 wrote:
Hi, I have difficulty to create document that thas a Front Page that
is not numbered, but numbers start from Second Page in document and
have to say "Page No from Number of Pages". The problem is that I
always get figure for Number of Pages the number that includes Front
Page....

I do know how to insert Section Breaks, I do know how to get Page No
1 on second page of whole document BUT IT IS "Number of Pages" that
mess the whole process.

Eli75

Hi Daiya, Thank you very much this command "SectionPage" did small wonder for
me..... Can you please advise me where to look it up for those commands as I
have not come across these type of commands before.... I been just modes user
of Word application.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

On 11/29/04 5:32 AM, "Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

If it's only 1 page, you should be able to set the doc to start counting
pages at 0, by using Format Page Number icon from the Header/footer toolbar.
Then the title page will be 0, no section breaks needed.

Sorry. With that option, you would still need to subtract 1 from the
NumPages field, as others have suggested doing.
DM

Graham Mayor

Each pair of the six pairs of curly brackets indicates a field

{ IF{ Page } 1 "Page { ={ Page }-1 } from { ={ Numpages }-1 }" }

Type CTRL+F9
Type IF space between the brackets
Type CTRL+F9
Type Page between the second set of brackets
Complete the rest of the fields as above.
Forget the toolbar!

Eli75 wrote:
Hi, I have difficulty to create document that thas a Front Page
that is not numbered, but numbers start from Second Page in
document and have to say "Page No from Number of Pages". The
problem is that I always get figure for Number of Pages the
number that includes Front Page....

I do know how to insert Section Breaks, I do know how to get Page
No 1 on second page of whole document BUT IT IS "Number of Pages"
that mess the whole process.

Daiya Mitchell

Glad to help. I'm not sure where you would look it up--I mostly learn by
reading these newsgroups. Others may have better suggestions. However, if
you put "field codes" into Help, it will spit out a lot of things that you
can do with fields, although not SectionPages, but "number of pages in a
section" did return SectionPages.

A lot of web resources are directed toward specific issues, but reading them
often gives a better understanding of how Word works even if you don't have
that particular issue. Some good ones:
http://shaunakelly.com/word/index.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/tutorials.htm
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
http://addbalance.com/word/index.htm
Often FAQs for the web have more in-depth explanation of what's going on
than answers in the ng.

DM