Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BrigadierBill BrigadierBill is offline

Default MS WORD NUMBERING

I'm formatting a document that is 404 pages long that MS broken up in to
sections with the last one being 187. The sections are also not numbered in
exact sequence but goes section 1 to 2 to 4 to 8 with no sections 3, 5, 6, 7
on and on up to section 187. The numbering from sections 1, 2 and 4 is the
way it should be but from 4 to 8 it jumps from page 14 to page 16 when I'm
working in the footer but 13 to 16 when I am working in the body. Even
though Word says there are 403 pages in the document the last page is
numbered 440. I've gone through them section by section and tried to change
the numbering system but it refuses to work. I've followed all the
instructions on MS page but the number keep skipping. Can anyone please help
me? I've spent hours working on this and tried dozens of solutions I found
on the net but none of them work. Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

When you say sections, do you mean Sections as are separated one from
another by Section Breaks.

I assume that you are talking about the page numbering.

However, you might just try running a macro containing the following code
and see if it fixes up the numbering.

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
For i = 2 To .Sections.Count
.Sections(i).Footers(1).PageNumbers.RestartNumberi ngAtSection =
False
Next i
.Sections(1).Footers(1).PageNumbers.StartingNumber = 1
End With

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"BrigadierBill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
When you say sections, do you mean Sections as are separated one from
another by Section Breaks.

I'm not sure what you mean. It is the sections the way MS word broke them
up, not the different chapters in the book.

I assume that you are talking about the page numbering.

Yes.

However, you might just try running a macro containing the following code
and see if it fixes up the numbering.

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
For i = 2 To .Sections.Count
.Sections(i).Footers(1).PageNumbers.RestartNumberi ngAtSection =
False
Next i
.Sections(1).Footers(1).PageNumbers.StartingNumber = 1
End With

I don't know how to do that.

Bill

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

MS Word only does what you make it do. I have no idea what you mean by "the
way MS word broke them up"

As for how to use the code that I sent to you, see the article "What do I do
with macros sent to me by other newsgroup readers to help me out? at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...eateAMacro.htm

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BrigadierBill BrigadierBill is offline

I pasted the code into the macros but it says there is a syntax error in the
4th line.

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
For i = 2 To .Sections.Count
..Sections(i).Footers(1).PageNumbers.RestartNumber ingAtSection =
False
Next i
..Sections(1).Footers(1).PageNumbers.StartingNumbe r = 1
End With

What needs to be changed?

bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The 'False' on the 5th line has been prematurely wrapped and should be on
the fourth line
See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

BrigadierBill wrote:
I pasted the code into the macros but it says there is a syntax error
in the 4th line.

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
For i = 2 To .Sections.Count
.Sections(i).Footers(1).PageNumbers.RestartNumberi ngAtSection =
False
Next i
.Sections(1).Footers(1).PageNumbers.StartingNumber = 1
End With

What needs to be changed?

bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BrigadierBill BrigadierBill is offline

GREAT! I went through it page by page after running the macro and it's just
the way it should be. It's a great relief.

Will this run automatically every time I open the file or MS Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In a single "problem" document, it shouldn't be necessary to run the macro
more than once.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"BrigadierBill" wrote in message
GREAT! I went through it page by page after running the macro and it's
just
the way it should be. It's a great relief.

Will this run automatically every time I open the file or MS Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

No, it will not run automatically, but then it should not be necessary for
it to do so. Unless those settings are changed by the user, by default,
they would be the same as the way they are set by the code in the macro.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"BrigadierBill" wrote in message
GREAT! I went through it page by page after running the macro and it's
just
the way it should be. It's a great relief.

Will this run automatically every time I open the file or MS Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I see you've gotten the result you need with the macro Doug provided, but
note that the reason Word is inserting (Continuous) section breaks is
undoubtedly that you have changed section-level formatting within a page,
most likely changing the number of columns. In order to access the page
numbering for these mid-page sections, you must click in the section itself,
go to Insert | Page Numbers, click on Format, and choose "Continue from
previous section." After clicking OK in the Page Number Format dialog, be
sure to click Close (not OK) in the Page Numbers dialog so you don't insert
another number.

http://word.mvps.org