Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Connie Maldonado Connie Maldonado is offline

Default Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I reopen the document (after saving and closing), the changes are no longer there. Any suggestions?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble with your changes to a style not being saved when you reopen the document. Here are a few things you can try:
  1. Make sure you're saving the document after making the changes to the style. You can do this by clicking the "Save" button or pressing Ctrl+S on your keyboard.
  2. Check that you're saving the changes to the correct template. If you're making changes to a style in a document, those changes will only be saved to that specific document unless you save them to the template. To do this, go to the "File" tab, click "Save As," and choose "Word Template" from the "Save as type" dropdown menu. Give your template a name and save it. Now, any changes you make to styles in this document will be saved to the template and will be available for use in any new documents based on that template.
  3. Try repairing your Office installation. Sometimes, issues with Word can be caused by a corrupted installation. To repair your installation, go to the "Control Panel" and click "Programs and Features." Find Microsoft Office in the list of installed programs, right-click it, and choose "Change." Select "Repair" and follow the prompts to repair your installation.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

Hi there! It sounds like you might be experiencing an issue with your document's style settings not being saved properly. Here are a few steps you can take to try and resolve the issue:
  1. Make sure you are saving the document after making changes to the style. To do this, click on the "File" tab in the top left corner of the screen, then click "Save" or "Save As" if you want to save a copy of the document with a new name.
  2. Check that the style you are editing is actually being used in the document. If it's not being used, any changes you make to it won't have any effect. To check this, go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen, click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Styles" section, and look for the style you are editing in the list that appears.
  3. If you are still having trouble, try creating a new document and making changes to the style there. If the changes are saved properly in the new document, it may be an issue with the original document itself.
  4. Finally, you can try repairing your installation of Word. To do this, go to the "Control Panel" on your computer, click on "Programs and Features," find Microsoft Office in the list of installed programs, and click "Change." From there, you should be able to choose the "Repair" option.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue with your style changes not being saved properly.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

What kind of style are you referring to? Paragraph style? Character style? What
settings are lost, exactly?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Connie Maldonado" wrote in message
I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I reopen the
document (after saving and closing), the changes are no longer there. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] thiemehennis@gmail.com is offline

Me too. Same problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I
reopen the document (after saving and closing), the changes are no
longer there.

maybe, following option is enabled: Developer Tools | Templates |
Document Template | Automatically Update Document Styles.

--
Cheers,
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] pwebb@kcionline.org is offline

I have the same problem:
When I save my Word 2010 document the style looks fine.
BUT when I close and reopen the file, the font colour of the style has changed from black to grey.

If I try to edit the style it tells me that the font is black (although it is displaying as grey). I have to change the colour of one sentence that uses this style and then update the style to match that sentence. I have to do this every time I open the document.

I followed Lisa's recommendation given he but that option is not checked on my PC (Developer Tools | Templates | Document Template | Automatically Update Document Styles)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

If you select the problem text and press Ctrl+SpaceBar, to reset font
formatting to that of the underlying paragraph style, then what happens?

Does the grey color print? Does it display in Print Preview?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

I have the same problem:
When I save my Word 2010 document the style looks fine.
BUT when I close and reopen the file, the font colour of the style has
changed from black to grey.

If I try to edit the style it tells me that the font is black (although it
is displaying as grey). I have to change the colour of one sentence that
uses this style and then update the style to match that sentence. I have
to do this every time I open the document.

I followed Lisa's recommendation given he but that option is not
checked on my PC (Developer Tools | Templates | Document Template |
Automatically Update Document Styles)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] pwebb@kcionline.org is offline

Thanks Stefan for response. To answer your questions:
Ctrl+SpaceBar doesn't seem to do anything
The text appears grey on the screen; in print preview and prints grey
Once corrected to black; then it is black on the screen, in print preview and prints black.

But I have just found a solution! ...
I went to "Modify style" where "Style based on" showed that the style was based on a style with font colour grey.
So I changed "Style based on" to "(no style)". I then had to edit the style to be what I wanted it to be.
Now when I close and reopen the document it is fine.
It's still strange that the problem existed but at I have a solution.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I'm glad you got it sorted.

Note that when a style A is based on another style B, a particular setting
from B is duplicated in A until you explicitly change it in A (or until you
set the base style to "(no style)" of course).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks Stefan for response. To answer your questions:
Ctrl+SpaceBar doesn't seem to do anything
The text appears grey on the screen; in print preview and prints grey
Once corrected to black; then it is black on the screen, in print preview
and prints black.

But I have just found a solution! ...
I went to "Modify style" where "Style based on" showed that the style was
based on a style with font colour grey.
So I changed "Style based on" to "(no style)". I then had to edit the
style to be what I wanted it to be.
Now when I close and reopen the document it is fine.
It's still strange that the problem existed but at I have a solution.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] pwebb@kcionline.org is offline

Thanks Stefan. You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the font colour setting for style A, but then the error would occur on reopening the document (so there is a "bug" somewhere)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

How annoying! :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks Stefan. You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the
font colour setting for style A, but then the error would occur on
reopening the document (so there is a "bug" somewhere)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

By the way, have you looked at the "Automatically update document styles"
option mentioned by Lisa in her reply?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks Stefan. You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the
font colour setting for style A, but then the error would occur on
reopening the document (so there is a "bug" somewhere)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] pwebb@kcionline.org is offline

Hi Stefan, Yes I followed Lisa's recommendation (see my original post on Jan 3)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Hi Stefan, Yes I followed Lisa's recommendation (see my original post on
Jan 3)

Sorry, re-reading your post I realize I overlooked that.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] daveferguson229@gmail.com is offline

Default Changes: they get lost, I put them back, they get lost again

From time to time I run into the same sort of problem.

I use document templates (even though they are inexplicably hidden in File / Options / Add-ins / change-the-dropdown-or-you'll-never-find-them ).

The specific template in use does have "automatically apply updates" checked.

I have a bulleted paragraph style, nb, with a left indent of 0.25 inch and a 0.25 inch hanging indent. When I close my document and reopen it, nb paragraphs show up with a 2.75 left indent, which makes them awfully hard to read in a table.

I go into the Style pane and modify nb, so that everything looks the way I want it to. When I save, close, and reopen, the 2.75 left indent reappears.

While writing this comment, I have gone through the entire cycle: reopened my document to find that Word has failed to preserve my changes; reimposed them by modifying the style from the style panel; saving the document; reopening it once again. Same failure.

I used to regard templates and styles as Word's chief virtues. They have become increasingly unreliable and endlessly frustrating. The document in question was part of work I submitted as part of a job application. If after nearly 30 years of working with Word (I started with the demo of Word 1.0 for DOS) I can't rely on it to do what I intend, I might as well use Google docs.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Since this involves a bulleted paragraph style it might be a completely
different issue. For all numbered and bulleted paragraphs (or paragraph
styles), you MUST specify the indentation using the Adjust List Indents
command. To find the command (Word 2007 or later), first click to select the
actual list symbol (bullet or number); Word selects all symbols belonging to
the same list. Then right-click and select Adjust List Indents.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
From time to time I run into the same sort of problem.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

and then I paste in paragraph-by-paragraph into a copy of the blank
document,
save it, and re-generate the TOC. It takes hours, and seems ridiculous
compared
to the five seconds it requires to regenerate a LaTeX document, but I
really have no choice.

Using styles consistently throughout a document, usually ensures a
stable/robust document. It is not necessary to copy content into a new
document, especially not to copy "paragraph by paragraph".
If a document is really damaged, you have to paste content as €œunformatted
text€ into a new document.
I guess, the problems with your document are not caused by styles, but by
other issues.

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the font colour
setting for style A,
but then the error would occur on reopening the document (so there is a
"bug" somewhere)

you did not change the Design, you did not change the Styles Set? Did you
modify a character style, a paragraph style, or a linked style? You just
modified this one style, you did not modify the basis style?

Click into the formatted text and press SHIFT + F1. In the "Reveal
Formatting" pane enable "Distinguish style source". Then, which information
does the pane show for your text?

When opening the document by "Open and Repair": Does any error message
occur?

Your also can send me the document for analysing.

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

If styles change when you (re-)open a document, you need to do the
following: In the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box, clear the option to
"Automatically update document styles."

To display the dialog box: First display the Developer tab on the ribbon by
selecting it at File tab | Options | Customize Ribbon. Then, on the
Developer tab, click Document Template. (These instructions apply to Word
2010 and 2013.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] jjloriz@verizon.net is offline

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 1:47:58 PM UTC-5, Stefan Blom wrote:
If styles change when you (re-)open a document, you need to do the following: In the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box, clear the option to "Automatically update document styles." To display the dialog box: First display the Developer tab on the ribbon by selecting it at File tab | Options | Customize Ribbon. Then, on the Developer tab, click Document Template. (These instructions apply to Word 2010 and 2013.) -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP wrote in message ... I have found a partial remedy to the lost styles problem, which is: I have defined my styles as a "quick style set". Each time I re-open the document, the styles are reverted to some default, but by applying my quick style set I can regain my styles. Still, it is annoying that I have to do it each and every time I open the document. Isn't there any possibility to cause the style definitions to stay? (Preferably one that does not involve templates...) Den onsdag den 12. februar 2014 14.51.28 UTC+2 skrev Lisa Wilke-Thissen: Hi, You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the font colour setting for style A, but then the error would occur on reopening the document (so there is a "bug" somewhere) you did not change the Design, you did not change the Styles Set? Did you modify a character style, a paragraph style, or a linked style? You just modified this one style, you did not modify the basis style? Click into the formatted text and press SHIFT + F1. In the "Reveal Formatting" pane enable "Distinguish style source". Then, which information does the pane show for your text? When opening the document by "Open and Repair": Does any error message occur? Your also can send me the document for analysing. -- Cheers, Lisa

I've implemented all of the suggestions mentioned in this thread. I've been able to correct the 0.25 Left Indent added to some table cells when re-opening the document. But I'm unable to resolve the 0.25 Hanging Indent added to some table cells. I can't simply reapply the style because the table cell content has additional formatting that is unique to the cell. Reapplying the style causes everything within the cell to assume the style definition properties.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] jjloriz@verizon.net is offline

I've implemented all of the suggestions mentioned in this thread. I've been able to correct the 0.25 Left Indent added to some table cells when re-opening the document. But I'm unable to resolve the 0.25 Hanging Indent added to some table cells. I can't simply reapply the style because the table cell content has additional formatting that is unique to the cell. Reapplying the style causes everything within the cell to assume the style definition properties.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] njmarr@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:51:28 AM UTC-6, Connie Maldonado wrote:
I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I reopen the document (after saving and closing), the changes are no longer there. Any suggestions?

I am having this issue with the reddish cell shading of the Austere footer that I am using. I have to open a new document, place the footer there, cut it, paste it into my document (If I just place it in my document, I lose the red cell completely). I save it. The next day I open the file, and poof, the red cell shading is gone. When I select the cell and change the shading through Borders and Shading, it does nothing. When I go into Borders and Shading a second time, it didn't even hold the formatting I changed it to the first time. What the heck is going on? Little things like this make me feel inept and like an idiot at using a program I'm quite familiar with!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

[Word 2010, Windows 7]
I am having this issue with the reddish cell shading of the Austere footer
that I am using.
I have to open a new document, place the footer there, cut it, paste it
into my document (If I just place it in my document, I lose the red cell
completely).
I save it. The next day I open the file, and poof, the red cell shading is
gone.

please, can you send me the document?
If it seems to be a bug, I can send a report to Microsoft. If it is *not* a
bug, maybe I find the cause and a solution.

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] benamram.amir@gmail.com is offline

Have just tried it and it works. (It is possible to reach the necessary option
without messing with the ribbon, via File options add-ins manage templates).
Thank you!

Den lørdag den 15. februar 2014 20.47.58 UTC+2 skrev Stefan Blom:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

For an even more convenient way you can add the Document Template button to
the Quick Access Toolbar.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] ngzhenfu@gmail.com is offline

I am having a lot of trouble with my word table cells.

After I have shaded the cell into a different colour, it changes back to no colour again everytime I reopen the document.

What is so annoying is that there are only some cells where this problem occurs. So I end up with tables with missing shaded cells here and there but I just can't seem to fix it.

Does anyone have any idea?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Is this shading applied to text or to the actual cell? Shading applied to
text would not fill the cell unless the text fills the cell. Text shading
may also be affected by "Automatically update document styles" in the

wrote in message
I am having a lot of trouble with my word table cells.

After I have shaded the cell into a different colour, it changes back to
no colour again everytime I reopen the document.

What is so annoying is that there are only some cells where this problem
occurs. So I end up with tables with missing shaded cells here and there
but I just can't seem to fix it.

Does anyone have any idea?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] rshawnk@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:51:28 AM UTC-5, Connie Maldonado wrote:
I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I reopen the document (after saving and closing), the changes are no longer there. Any suggestions?

Very helpful. Thanks guys and gals!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] b.candelon@gmail.com is offline

Le jeudi 29 novembre 2012 21:29:35 UTC+1, Lisa Wilke-Thissen a écrit*:
Hi,

I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I
reopen the document (after saving and closing), the changes are no
longer there.

maybe, following option is enabled: Developer Tools | Templates |
Document Template | Automatically Update Document Styles.

--
Cheers,
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Lisa's trick worked fine for me. Thanks a lot !

Cheers,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] jodybw@gmail.com is offline

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 at 1:41:46 AM UTC-7, Lisa Wilke-Thissen wrote:
Hi,

[Word 2010, Windows 7]
I am having this issue with the reddish cell shading of the Austere footer
that I am using.
I have to open a new document, place the footer there, cut it, paste it
into my document (If I just place it in my document, I lose the red cell
completely).
I save it. The next day I open the file, and poof, the red cell shading is
gone.

please, can you send me the document?
If it seems to be a bug, I can send a report to Microsoft. If it is *not* a
bug, maybe I find the cause and a solution.

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Lisa - Is there any way I can send you my document? The default formatting is lost now when I open Word 2010. The margins have changed, the font has changed, the letters run off the page, it looks like the orientation has changed, but hasn't when you print it. The cursor falls about 1/4 down the page, etc. HELP! Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Lisa Wilke-Thissen[_2_] Lisa Wilke-Thissen[_2_] is offline

Hi,

Lisa - Is there any way I can send you my document? The default
formatting is lost now when I open Word 2010.
The margins have changed, the font has changed, the letters run off the
page, it looks like the orientation has changed, but hasn't when you print
it. The cursor falls about 1/4 down the page, etc.

My e-mail address can be found in the World Wide Web easily:

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] kmbkbd@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 6:51:28 AM UTC-7, Connie Maldonado wrote:
I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I reopen the document (after saving and closing), the changes are no longer there. Any suggestions?

When I saved a document using APA format. I closed it and reopened. It was not APA format. HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] fkacut@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 9:51:28 AM UTC-4, Connie Maldonado wrote:
I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I reopen the document (after saving and closing), the changes are no longer there. Any suggestions?

I had this problem years ago. I had to save the document for each change I made. For instance, if I changed the wording in a sentence from "This is it" to "That is it," I would hit the Save button, close the document, then reopen it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] therightouchinc@gmail.com is offline

Can anyone help me with a similar problem? In Word 2010, I have columns, and everytime I close the file and re-open, my columns have shifted. I correct them, save, and close the file. When I reopen the file, it didn't save. I checked for the "Automated Updates" box and that is not checked. I don't see "No styles", but I did see clear styles and set it to that but still the same thing. I have been dealing with this nightmare for years on my business brochures. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Or even suggest another program I could use for future.
Nidhitiwari Nidhitiwari is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
How annoying! :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks Stefan. You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the
font colour setting for style A, but then the error would occur on
reopening the document (so there is a "bug" somewhere)

Great post!