Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FrustratedWordUser FrustratedWordUser is offline

Default Return Key Problem

I have edited my normal.dotm settings over and over, but I can't get rid of
an annoying issue regardless of how I set the paragraph options.

When I hit the return key, one space is added at the end of the line. When
I hit the return key a second time, it goes to the next line but it also
hangs the new paragraph.

All I want the normal template to do is have a basic format with 6 pt.
spacing after paragraphs. It is annoying to have to set-up every new
document. Your assistance will be greatly appreciate.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Why are you pressing the enter key twice at the end of a paragraph? Use the
paragraph styles provided to put space between paragraphs or not. You may
find it helpful to change Styles Change Styles Style Set to Word 2003.

FrustratedWordUser wrote:
I have edited my normal.dotm settings over and over, but I can't get
rid of an annoying issue regardless of how I set the paragraph
options.

When I hit the return key, one space is added at the end of the line.
When I hit the return key a second time, it goes to the next line but
it also hangs the new paragraph.

All I want the normal template to do is have a basic format with 6 pt.
spacing after paragraphs. It is annoying to have to set-up every new
document. Your assistance will be greatly appreciate.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FrustratedWordUser FrustratedWordUser is offline

Thanks Graham, that gave me one other thing to try. Unfortuneately, it did
not work. The reason I am pressing the enter key twice is that is what is
force on me by the normal.dotm template. I could not find "style set to word
2003" in the styles options but I had already selected Word 97 - 2003 in my
word options. I think I have tried every menu option I can find that could
possibly be causing this. Frankly, I am beyond frustrated.

FrustratedWordUser wrote:
I have edited my normal.dotm settings over and over, but I can't get
rid of an annoying issue regardless of how I set the paragraph
options.

When I hit the return key, one space is added at the end of the line.
When I hit the return key a second time, it goes to the next line but
it also hangs the new paragraph.

All I want the normal template to do is have a basic format with 6 pt.
spacing after paragraphs. It is annoying to have to set-up every new
document. Your assistance will be greatly appreciate.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

On the right hand end of the Home tab there are two AAs 'Change Styles'.
Click that and select the sub menu entry 'Change Styles. You will find a
list of style sets.
Open Normal.dotm in Word change any of the style definitions
(CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+S - right click Modify) to give the layout you require
and save the changes as a Quick Style Set. Check the set as default option.
Add a character to the text space of the 'document'. Delete it. Apply the
base style of your choice to the first paragraph then save and close
normal.dotm.