sooz

Default Save 'Automatically update document styles' option to template

I have created a template which I sometimes copy and paste text from
other documents into. I always need to manually tick the 'Automatically
update document styles' option in order for the styles to conform to the
ones in the template.
Is there some way to save this option into the template? (I have tried,
but it just removes it next time I use it).

sooz

--
sooz
Stefan Blom

You can use a macro command to add it to the template:

1. Open the template as a document (via FileOpen).

2. Press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor.

3. On the View menu, click Immediate Window.

4. In the Immediate Window, type:

ActiveDocument.UpdateStylesOnOpen = True

and then press Enter.

5. Make some change in the template, such as adding and removing a
space, to make sure that it is flagged as modified.

6. Save and close the template file.

Note that if you ever want to remove the setting from the template,
you'll have to repeat the above procedure, using
ActiveDocument.UpdateStylesOnOpen = False instead.

Note also that if you ever use this template (or documents created
from it) to create a new template, the setting the setting will be
transferred to the new template. So, obviously, use the "Automatically
update document styles" with care!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP