Tjodrik

Default Page number difficulties

I had split my document into two sections, the first with no first page
numbering, and having Roman numbers, and the second section with first page
numbering, and with Arabic numbers.

Because my document is to be printed and bound - with double pages - I have
to insert some blank pages in order to get my chapter headings on the right
page. I want these blank pages before the chapters to have no _visible_ page
number, but nevertheless count as a page.

For instance, I want page II to be blank (except the copyright stuff), and
the next page to be III, as the first visible page number. One would think
that the only thing to do was to split the document into more sections,
letting the blank pages be a section of its own with no paging. But that
doesn't work. If found out that the problem is that my document already has
page number formatting. Removing the page numbers does not help, as it simply
removes the numbers, not the formatting. At the left corner in Word, it still
says "page IV", "page 17" etc., even though the numbers aren't there. I've
tried to remove the "same as previous"-function in the headers-footers, but
that doesn't help at all. When I insert a section break after page II, and
insert page number to start with III, both the front page and what I want to
be page III are numbered as III. When I remove the page numbers from the
first section (which only has the pages III and IV), all page numbers from
the entire document disappears, even if they are in seperate sections and do
not have "same as previous" in the header/footer. I am very near at giving up
now. Please help.

I suspect that removing all page formatting, and then split sections and
break the connection first, _then_ page number them would help. But the page
formatting seems to be saved in the document - I cannot remove it (by
removing the page numbers).
Shauna Kelly

Hi Tjodrik

Try the following article:
Create a non-blank, even-numbered page at the end of a chapter
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nPgEndChap.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Tjodrik" wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

If you want your chapters to start on right (odd-numbered) pages,
simply insert an Odd Page section break before each of them. Also,
make sure that you enable the "Mirror margins" option on the Margins
tab of FilePage Setup.

Once you have the desired section formatting, you can proceed to work
with page numbers.

The type of numbers is determined for each section; whether
page numbers display or not depends on settings for headers and
footers. You can have up to three different headers (and three
different footers) in each section if you check "Different odd and
even" and "Different first page" options on the Layout tab of
FilePage Setup. This allows you to control where page numbers (and
any other header/footer contents) display in a given section. For
more, see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/PageNumbering.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tjodrik" wrote in message
[...]

As Stefan has said, the key is to use "Odd page" section breaks to force
Word to generate blank pages. But see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm for some of
the other issues. Keep in mind that you can have up to three headers per
section (First Page, Even Page, Odd Page); see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

"Tjodrik" wrote in message
[...]

How do I insert chapter number with page number in footer? Joan Microsoft Word Help 4 May 9th 05 04:00 PM
Page numbering in footers, Outside margin, Page Number + Number of Pages Eric G Page Layout 6 April 22nd 05 12:28 PM
Page Number funnybroad Page Layout 4 March 3rd 05 08:58 AM
Page Number and Page header on the first page Frank Drost Formatting Long Documents 3 March 1st 05 03:17 PM
When insert page number is clicked, the number inserted at page 1. inbetween Page Layout 1 February 19th 05 08:07 AM