Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Johnson1

Default Inserting a .PDF into a .DOC

How can I insert a .pdf file into a .doc? I tried inserting it as an
image, however it only imported the first page of the .pdf.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PopS

"Mike Johnson1" wrote in message
How can I insert a .pdf file into a .doc? I tried inserting it
as an image, however it only imported the first page of the
.pdf.

Thanks!

If there are no graphics and just text, simply copy/paste. I
don't believe you can get text/graphics together and have them be
in place correctly with just the reader.

Seems like Open Office did it; not sure I recall whether it
worked in both directions.

Pop

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

An object inserted into Word cannot span more than one page. A
workaround would be to split your PDF file into separate one-page
PDF files, and insert the separate PDF files into Word.

Mike Johnson1 wrote:

How can I insert a .pdf file into a .doc? I tried inserting it as an
image, however it only imported the first page of the .pdf.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PopS

Huh! Not that I doubted it, but I went off to check it out for
grins, and darned if that isn't right. Before checking, I'd have
sworn I've transferred multiple pages from the reader to Word
before but - sure can't do it now, if I ever could!
That kind of protection makes sense, but ... Ida sworn ...
well, you know;-(
It's a "feature" of Adobe, so it wouldn't matter much what you're
trying to paste it into - only so much can get to the clipboard.
A brain is a terrible thing to lose!! Now, where's my ears
again?

Pop

Mike Johnson1 wrote:

How can I insert a .pdf file into a .doc? I tried inserting it
as an image, however it only imported the first page of the
.pdf.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PopS

Well, I don't know WHAT to say now! NOW I can copy across pages
from the Reader and Paste it into MSWord or anything else! But
yesterday I couldn't.

Well, it confused me for a minute or two, but I think I've
figured it out: I must have tried something not the way I said
yesterday.

If I press CTRL-A in the Reader, ONLY the currently viewed page
where the cursor is located becomes highlighted. And of course,
that's all one can paste into Word (or any other app).
This is repeatable: I've opened/closed the Reader (version
7.0, Standard plug-ins) three times now and it's the same each
time.

HOWever, if I move the cursor to the top of the file, select
the Text tool, and press CTRL-SHIFT-END, the entire document
highlights AND Pastes into Word just fine!

So, the moral of the story seems to be to not use CTRL-A to
select the whole document; it only selects the current page.
Checking the File menu, I also noticed, which I never did
before, that you can Save As a Text document. Dunno how long
that's been there; I think it's been a few revs at least.

So, it sounds like the OP might have been trying to use CTRL-A to
select the entire document, though I dont' think they mentioned
it; it might have helped if they had.

Suzanne comes thru again: Good catch/kick in the butt there;
thanks.

Pop

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I would not be surprised to learn that you were able to select,
copy, and
paste *text* from multiple PDF pages in Word. Text is text, not
an object.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Mike Johnson1 wrote:

How can I insert a .pdf file into a .doc? I tried inserting
it
as an image, however it only imported the first page of the
.pdf.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

You are copying and pasting text from Acrobat to Word. The OP is
inserting an Acrobat object into Word. Two different things. An
object (Excel file, Acrobat file, etc.) inserted into any version
of Word using the Insert-Object command cannot span more than
one page.

PopS wrote:

[...]

"PopS" wrote in message
.. .

Huh! Not that I doubted it, but I went off to check it out
for
grins, and darned if that isn't right. Before checking, I'd
have
sworn I've transferred multiple pages from the reader to Word
before but - sure can't do it now, if I ever could!
That kind of protection makes sense, but ... Ida sworn ...
well, you know;-(
It's a "feature" of Adobe, so it wouldn't matter much what
you're
trying to paste it into - only so much can get to the
clipboard.
A brain is a terrible thing to lose!! Now, where's my ears
again?

Pop

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]"

. ..

Mike Johnson1 wrote:

How can I insert a .pdf file into a .doc? I tried inserting
it
as an image, however it only imported the first page of the
.pdf.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

But PopS's original response was "If there are no graphics and just text,
simply copy/paste." This is still true, provided there is text to be copied.
Some PDFs, however (such as those created by scanners) are pure graphics,
and even if you click on the Select Text button, you can't select text.

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

PopS wrote:

[...]

"PopS" wrote in message
.. .

Huh! Not that I doubted it, but I went off to check it out
for
grins, and darned if that isn't right. Before checking, I'd
have
sworn I've transferred multiple pages from the reader to Word
before but - sure can't do it now, if I ever could!
That kind of protection makes sense, but ... Ida sworn ...
well, you know;-(
It's a "feature" of Adobe, so it wouldn't matter much what
you're
trying to paste it into - only so much can get to the
clipboard.
A brain is a terrible thing to lose!! Now, where's my ears
again?

Pop

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]"

. ..

Mike Johnson1 wrote:

How can I insert a .pdf file into a .doc? I tried inserting
it
as an image, however it only imported the first page of the
.pdf.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PopS

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]"
wrote in message ...
You are copying and pasting text from Acrobat to Word. The OP
is inserting an Acrobat object into Word. Two different
things. An object (Excel file, Acrobat file, etc.) inserted
into any version of Word using the Insert-Object command
cannot span more than one page.

Ah! Missed it, if that's the case. OH well, I learned something
anyway.

Pop