Microsoft Newsgroups

Default Table of Contents Updating and Formatting

I'm using Word 2002 and I'm creating a table of contents from heading styles
and using a dot leader that goes over to the page numbers. My problem is
that I don't want the dot leaders to go right up to the page numbers.
Instead, I want them to stop about a half inch from the page number. An
example would be that I set a dot leader tab at 6.0 for the leaders to stop
and a right align tab at 6.5 for the page number. This requires you to tab
once for the dot leader and then again to get to the page number tab and
type in the page number. This works fine if you were to type the ToC
manually, however, if you Update the ToC it doesn't work. Instead, the page
numbers slide back and line up to the dot leader tab. It's as though it can
only use one tab after the ToC entry and not two.

Does anyone know how I can get this to work. Your help will be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Try modifying the TOC # styles so that they include the desired tab stops.

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for the
benefit of others who may be interested. Unsolicited questions forwarded

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Microsoft Newsgroups" wrote in message
[...]

Cathy D.

I originally did this before I wrote to you for help, but it didn't work.
It won't listen to the styles. It listens to them at the beginning of the
lines, but not at the end. For instance, the heading looks like this:
Between the 1.0 and the heading title, I have a tab set at 0.35. Then I had
a tab at 6.0 for the leader to stop and then a right tab at 6.5 for the page
number. When you update the ToC, it listens to the 0.35 tab and the 6.0
tab, but not the 6.5 tab. So, the page number slides back to the 6.0 tab.

[...]

It isn't that it isn't "listening" to your tab stops; it's that it is
deleting the tab characters you have added. You need two tab characters
after the TOC entry for this to work; Word inserts one automatically, and it
removes the other that you have added.