Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lynne Lynne is offline

Default Word Comment Box

Way back when.........I used to be able to add a comment box to a document
(in the older version, can't remember which version). The comment box would
not show up in the document unless you moved your mouse over a certain area
in the document.

In Word 2003, I am unable to do the same type of idea. In Word 2003, I have
to add a comment box/balloon, however, when I do that it shows up in the
actual document and displaces the text within the document (sending the
document to 2 pages).

Does anyone know if you can do it the old way in Word 2003?

--
Lynne
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Lynne wrote:
Way back when.........I used to be able to add a comment box to a
document (in the older version, can't remember which version). The
comment box would not show up in the document unless you moved your
mouse over a certain area in the document.

In Word 2003, I am unable to do the same type of idea. In Word 2003,
I have to add a comment box/balloon, however, when I do that it shows
up in the actual document and displaces the text within the document
(sending the document to 2 pages).

Does anyone know if you can do it the old way in Word 2003?

Try the method I described in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1c6f903e?hl=en
for using the tooltip of an otherwise empty AutoTextList field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lynne Lynne is offline

Hi Jay,

I did that and I am left with the "field code" on the screen, how do I exit
from what I have on the screen?
--
Lynne

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Lynne wrote:
Way back when.........I used to be able to add a comment box to a
document (in the older version, can't remember which version). The
comment box would not show up in the document unless you moved your
mouse over a certain area in the document.

In Word 2003, I am unable to do the same type of idea. In Word 2003,
I have to add a comment box/balloon, however, when I do that it shows
up in the actual document and displaces the text within the document
(sending the document to 2 pages).

Does anyone know if you can do it the old way in Word 2003?

Try the method I described in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1c6f903e?hl=en
for using the tooltip of an otherwise empty AutoTextList field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

First, did you actually insert a field (with Ctrl+F9 to insert the field
markers) or did you just paste in what was shown in the post? Second, if you did
insert a field, select it and press F9 to update it, or right-click and choose
Update Field.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Lynne wrote:
Way back when.........I used to be able to add a comment box to a
document (in the older version, can't remember which version). The
comment box would not show up in the document unless you moved your
mouse over a certain area in the document.

In Word 2003, I am unable to do the same type of idea. In Word 2003,
I have to add a comment box/balloon, however, when I do that it shows
up in the actual document and displaces the text within the document
(sending the document to 2 pages).

Does anyone know if you can do it the old way in Word 2003?

Try the method I described in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1c6f903e?hl=en
for using the tooltip of an otherwise empty AutoTextList field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lynne Lynne is offline

Hi Jay,

Clicking right and then "update field" worked. However, I received an error
message that reads "Error! Bookmark not defined.

Any ideas?

Lynne
--
Lynne

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Lynne wrote:
Way back when.........I used to be able to add a comment box to a
document (in the older version, can't remember which version). The
comment box would not show up in the document unless you moved your
mouse over a certain area in the document.

In Word 2003, I am unable to do the same type of idea. In Word 2003,
I have to add a comment box/balloon, however, when I do that it shows
up in the actual document and displaces the text within the document
(sending the document to 2 pages).

Does anyone know if you can do it the old way in Word 2003?

Try the method I described in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1c6f903e?hl=en
for using the tooltip of an otherwise empty AutoTextList field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

A bit of explanation:

When you insert a field that doesn't have a "keyword" in the first position, or
if the keyword you think you have is actually misspelled so that Word doesn't
recognize it, then Word assumes that the field is a REF field (a reference to a
bookmark) with the first word being the name of the referenced bookmark.

When a REF field points to a bookmark that doesn't exist, then you get the error
message you mentioned.

Right-click the field (the error message) and choose Toggle Field Code. Look
carefully at the field code -- the first word there should be AutoTextList. If
it isn't exactly that word, then you'll get an error. While you're in there,
compare the rest of the field code, especially the punctuation, to the code I
posted,

{ AutoTextList "display text" \s NoStyle \t "Put the definition here" }

Change only the text between the quotation marks. After you fix the code, update
the field again.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Lynne wrote:
Way back when.........I used to be able to add a comment box to a
document (in the older version, can't remember which version). The
comment box would not show up in the document unless you moved your
mouse over a certain area in the document.

In Word 2003, I am unable to do the same type of idea. In Word 2003,
I have to add a comment box/balloon, however, when I do that it shows
up in the actual document and displaces the text within the document
(sending the document to 2 pages).

Does anyone know if you can do it the old way in Word 2003?

Try the method I described in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1c6f903e?hl=en
for using the tooltip of an otherwise empty AutoTextList field.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lynne Lynne is offline

Jay,

I am making progress. I had one word spelled incorrectly and noticed that
the "spaces" were not in the correct place. After I right clicked and
selected Toggle Field and corrected everything, I then right clicked again
and selected "update field". I now have a field box that says "display text"
in it.

And the next step...........
--
Lynne

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Lynne wrote:
Way back when.........I used to be able to add a comment box to a
document (in the older version, can't remember which version). The
comment box would not show up in the document unless you moved your
mouse over a certain area in the document.

In Word 2003, I am unable to do the same type of idea. In Word 2003,
I have to add a comment box/balloon, however, when I do that it shows
up in the actual document and displaces the text within the document
(sending the document to 2 pages).

Does anyone know if you can do it the old way in Word 2003?

Try the method I described in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1c6f903e?hl=en
for using the tooltip of an otherwise empty AutoTextList field.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Good. Now, the next step is to toggle the field code again, remove the words
"display text" and replace them with the word or words that you want to see in
the document (be sure to keep the quotes around this text).

Also remove the words "Put the definition here" and replace them with the text
you want to see in the popup, again keeping the quotes around it.

When you've done that, update the field again. You should see your text in the
document, and when you position the mouse pointer over it you should see the
popup.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all
may benefit.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Lynne wrote:
Way back when.........I used to be able to add a comment box to a
document (in the older version, can't remember which version). The
comment box would not show up in the document unless you moved your
mouse over a certain area in the document.

In Word 2003, I am unable to do the same type of idea. In Word 2003,
I have to add a comment box/balloon, however, when I do that it shows
up in the actual document and displaces the text within the document
(sending the document to 2 pages).

Does anyone know if you can do it the old way in Word 2003?

Try the method I described in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1c6f903e?hl=en
for using the tooltip of an otherwise empty AutoTextList field.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lynne Lynne is offline

Jay,

A Million Thank you's - it worked wonderfully. I appreciate your patience.

Lynne
--
Lynne

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Lynne wrote:
Way back when.........I used to be able to add a comment box to a
document (in the older version, can't remember which version). The
comment box would not show up in the document unless you moved your
mouse over a certain area in the document.

In Word 2003, I am unable to do the same type of idea. In Word 2003,
I have to add a comment box/balloon, however, when I do that it shows
up in the actual document and displaces the text within the document
(sending the document to 2 pages).

Does anyone know if you can do it the old way in Word 2003?

Try the method I described in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1c6f903e?hl=en
for using the tooltip of an otherwise empty AutoTextList field.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You're welcome! :-)