Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
puka puka is offline

Default MS Word "eating" or "erasing" characters as I type

puka wrote:
*I've got two MicroSoft Word files with text. When I move the cursor
in between two sentences and start adding text or changing something,
I can type a word but the rest of the sentence (before that word
where I've inserted the cursor and begun to type) "deletes itself"
character by character as I type a new character. So, for every new
character that I type, an old character gets deleted or erased. It
moves "in" toward the cursor and disappears. It's almost like the
text folds in on itself. The problem is current on two files.
Anyone know what the problem could be? Have I tweaked some setting
in "preferences" or "editing" that is causing this problem.

Please let me know if my description isn't clear, and I'll revise.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

I'm using MS Word OSX & PowerBook G4. *

EDIT: SOLUTION: I just figured it out. In the Preferences/Editing
there's an option to turn on and off "overtype". You can apparently
also turn it on or off via toolbar. Apparently that's what I must've
done by mistake.

Problem seems to be solved!

--
puka

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hit the Insert key once and it's on. Hit it again and it's off.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"puka" wrote in message