Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul B[_5_] Paul B[_5_] is offline

Default What is wrong with this wildcard search?

I've got a doc with several instances like this one:

LECTURE IX
CONVERSION

I'm trying to change that to:

Lecture IX: CONVERSION

This search string, with wildcards enabled,

LECTURE ([A-Z]{1,5})

does select the first line, above. But if I add a captu

LECTURE ([A-Z]{1,5})\1

I get no hits. I can't see what I've done wrong here.

Thanks,
p.

--
Using Office 2003 sp3 on Windows XP Home
Behold, I will allure her, I will lead her into the wilderness
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I think you're trying to do what Word already does for you. The
parenthesised expression is 'captured' automatically and "\1" can be used to
position it in the replace string without you needing to do anything. Adding
to the Find string means Word is looking for "\1" after your string, and
can't find it.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Paul B" wrote in message
I've got a doc with several instances like this one:

LECTURE IX
CONVERSION

I'm trying to change that to:

Lecture IX: CONVERSION

This search string, with wildcards enabled,

LECTURE ([A-Z]{1,5})

does select the first line, above. But if I add a captu

LECTURE ([A-Z]{1,5})\1

I get no hits. I can't see what I've done wrong here.

Thanks,
p.

--
Using Office 2003 sp3 on Windows XP Home
Behold, I will allure her, I will lead her into the wilderness
and speak tenderly to her - Ho. 2.14.
http://onfollowingchrist.wordpress.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul B[_5_] Paul B[_5_] is offline

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:37:29 +0100, Tony Jollans wrote:

I think you're trying to do what Word already does for you. The
parenthesised expression is 'captured' automatically and "\1" can be used to
position it in the replace string without you needing to do anything. Adding
to the Find string means Word is looking for "\1" after your string, and
can't find it.

Tony, did I ever tell you you're absolutely brilliant? g

Thanks,
p.