Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy O.[_2_] Kathy O.[_2_] is offline

Default Text to speech in Office 2003 - Using Vista Premium Home

I used Word's feature of Text to speech in both Word 2003 and Excel 2003
using XP with no problems. However now that I have the new operating system,
this does not work at all.

Thank you

Kathy O.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Reb Reb is offline

Text to speech feature only works for Excel, not Word. It works as advertised
in Excel 2003 and 2007. Are you possibly confusing it with speech recognition?

"Kathy O." wrote:

I used Word's feature of Text to speech in both Word 2003 and Excel 2003
using XP with no problems. However now that I have the new operating system,
this does not work at all.

Thank you

Kathy O.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Reb Reb is offline

"Reb" wrote:

Text to speech feature only works for Excel, not Word. It works as advertised
in Excel 2003 and 2007. Are you possibly confusing it with speech recognition? Speech Recognition is now incorporated in Vista. Use your Help feature in Vista for more info.

"Kathy O." wrote:

I used Word's feature of Text to speech in both Word 2003 and Excel 2003
using XP with no problems. However now that I have the new operating system,
this does not work at all.

Thank you

Kathy O.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Kathy,

Windows Vista has its own speech engines, and that may be coming in to play, but generally, if you have installed the optional
features from the Microsoft Office choice in Programs see if the procedure here helps to have Excel's 'Speak Cells' work in Word
2003
http://gmayor.com/word_text_to_speech.htm

===========

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy O.[_2_] Kathy O.[_2_] is offline

Thank you for replying -- Nope I am not confusing text to speech in Word for
Office 2003 -- it works perfectly on my desktop -- which is running XP -but
not on this laptop running Vista Home Premium edition.
Another Irksome thing is that I am constantly getting the message to
'accept the terms of Office' -- I am registered user -- activated the
product throgh Microsoft on this new laptop -- but every time I open
Word,Excel, Power Point -- you name it for Office 2003 - that accept message
pops up -- and there is no button either left right top back or bottom for me
to 'not display this message again.'

I cannot afford the 2007 upgrade at this time -- and this laptop did come
with a free 60 day or 90 day or whatever offer but as I mentioned I cannot
take advantage of it at this time. I just want to be able to have what I had
before this god-forsaken Vista came out -- and I can't get anything to work
the way I once did... and I had text to speech in Word since version 2002 of
Office...but not now

Kathy O.

"Kathy O." wrote:

I used Word's feature of Text to speech in both Word 2003 and Excel 2003
using XP with no problems. However now that I have the new operating system,
this does not work at all.

Thank you

Kathy O.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy O.[_2_] Kathy O.[_2_] is offline

Thank you for your response, but when I installed office 2002/2003 in XP a
few years ago -- I did not have to do anything -- it was all there for the
taking. I do have the text to speech working fine in Excel 2003 on this
laptop, but as you know not in Word. I clicked on your link and am not
quite sure what to do with it since I don't have "Reference" under Tools in
the Word 2003 -- so that really has confused me...
I am being unfiar to Vista or should I just be miffed at Bill gates? how
can a computer company not support and enhance its own product -- why is
everything such a hassle now with Vista?
Kathy O.

"Kathy O." wrote:

I used Word's feature of Text to speech in both Word 2003 and Excel 2003
using XP with no problems. However now that I have the new operating system,
this does not work at all.

Thank you

Kathy O.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy O.[_2_] Kathy O.[_2_] is offline

Why am I having to do all of this? Office 2002/2003 --workd perfectly in the
text to speech and I used it in Word daily -- Daily! I am not confusing Word
with Excel -- although I do use that feature in Excel too, but I desperately
use it and am so used to using it in Word... I don't see any thing for
Reference under Tools in Office 2003 -- when I installed it here on the
laptop running Vista Home Premium -- I am really sorry I did all this --
should have shopped around to find someone who would sell me a computer still
using XP Professional. I really don't like Vista -- it doesn't even work
with its own product line Microsoft I fear is heading toward the demise
similar to IBM of the 80's when they introduced new SNA's that no one had or
understood. Within months their computers ended up as dust collectors on
Radio shack shelves across the country; I think Vista is your waterloo and
not to have a seamless integration with older versions of Microsoft Office is
not only a shame it is an ethical crime -- shame on Bill Gates and Microsoft

I want my text to speech; I don't want to buy office 2007, 2008, 2010 or
2240! I want to us my Office 2003 -- I am still discovering features of 2003
-- and it serves my purposes -- but not running Windows Vista. I also don't
want to have to continually type in I accept -- to a product I have
registered; am a licensed user of... it's just so annoying!

'Please give me my text to speech back in Word 2003! without having to write
a bunch of gobbly gook in VBA
Kathy O.

"Kathy O." wrote in message ...
I used Word's feature of Text to speech in both Word 2003 and Excel 2003
using XP with no problems. However now that I have the new operating system,
this does not work at all.

Thank you

Kathy O.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Kathy,

The MS text to speech feature was not included in Word in prior versions. The Windows narrator could be used, but not as
effectively.

Basically, if you want the Office provided text to speech feature back you'll basically need to use a workaround approach as in
Graham's article (most of it is cut and paste) unless someone has a copy of a template you can use with that macro already included
in it
The use of Tools=References is in the Word VBA editor (Alt+F11), not in the regular Word tools menu.

On the license acceptance - usually comes from not being logged in as Administrator (or not using 'run as Administrator' in Vista).
The acceptance otherwise doesn't get written to the registry.