gsjmia gsjmia is offline
Junior Member

Default Disable Spell Check Language Detection

Hi, I have spent countless hours trying to disable Word's auto language detection. What is a feature for some is a timewasting bug for me.

I am in Florida and do work for a large publisher and I get docs from all over the place. I don't mean to be xenophobic, but I only want to spell check in English-U.S. and no other language, ever. Problem is, some English words get marked as a foreign language and you can't spell check those words.

I have checked in all the likely places, e.g., Start/Programs/MS Office Tools/Language, and Eng is the default and no other languages are enabled. In MS Word/Tools/Language/Set Language, English is the default and auto detection is unchecked.

Then, I though I had when I found this article, which exposed yet another layer of language at the paragraph or character level, that could be searched and replace with a macro:

http://wordtips.vitalnews.com/Pages/...Languages.html

However, doing the search and replace still does not catch all the instances of irrelevant things like "French (West Indies").

Finally, I thought I found the last nest of foreign languages.

With the insertion point in a foreign word, use the Help/What's This pointer to select the foreign word--on the right the formatting appears and reveals its language. If you select the blue "language" heading it shows all available/enabled languages (probably the same as the Set Language box under Tools/Language, above).

So I installed the setup disk and went back to "Office Proofing Tools" and made Spanish and French "not available". This solved 90%--now on a foreign doc it announces "Spanish-Sort" not available and then goes on the check it in U.S. English.

However, I still have 20 types of English, including "English-Malaysia" and others. I have searched through the Office Set Up and can't find where these are-How do you get rid of these?

MS Word 2002 with SP23
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm for some general
practices, but keep in mind that a foreign language can ride in on a single
character pasted from a Web page or another document. Your best recourse if
you're pasting material is, before spell checking, to Select All (Ctrl+A)
and go to Tools | Language | Set Language and select the correct language.

http://tinyurl.com/y5f2j6

--
gsjmia