Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TAD1956 TAD1956 is offline

Default Digitally watermarking documents?

I am trying to find out if there is an inexpensive way or a way to have
documents digitally watermarked by the creator of a Word document when it is
created.

Currently we have a large number of students who like to share their work
(or turn in work completed by another student) I am trying to determine if
there is a Microsoft product or other product that will digitally mark a
document when it is created by the user of the system when the file is
created. This could then be looked at to see who the true owner of the
document would be. The technology would be similar to the digimarc
technology that is used for images.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

If these docs are being prepared in *your* environment you *may* have a
chance - there are many variables & probably won't fit the "inexpensive"
requirement.

If the docs are being produced/revised on the students' own systems, forget
it - you might just as well have them sign "statements of originality"...
not to mention the probable backlash over "violations of their personal
rights". Besides, cheaters are going to find a way to cheat regardless...
I've aways found it interesting that some will expend more effort to get
around something than would be required for compliance.

FWIW, this isn't a new development. Students have been sharing documents &
exams since long before the concept of "integrity" began to fade.
Unfortunately, it's even more difficult to *prove* plagiarism in the
electronic age - How about requiring good ol' _hand written_ projects?
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones