Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement, microsoft.public.word.newusers
raylopez99 raylopez99 is offline

Default How to reinstall Word 2003 Spell check in XP?

What is the protocol to make Word 2003 default to the normal
settings? SPell check is not working. The requisite files *.LEX are
in the proper directory.

OS is XP sp2.

Also I tried various things in this thread*, short of reinstalling
word.

RL

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c00011759069bc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement, microsoft.public.word.newusers
raylopez99 raylopez99 is offline

OK, I "fixed" this bug for now, but there's no guarantee, from reading
other threads, that this will work for you or even for me.

In Word 2003:

I went to Tools| Customize| Reset and reset all my toolbars...I
honestly don't think this solved the problem, but, then...

Under Tools| Language| Set Language make sure all checkboxes are not
checked ("Do not check spelling.." and "Detect Language
automatically") then...

I deleted all Normal.dot templates in my computer (renamed them) after
finding them using Search (include all hidden and system files in your
search). There were two on my system. Exit Word before doing this.

I did NOT reboot, and amazingly, when I reloaded Word, Spell check
works. I have unselected "Check as you type", and I've set the
Languages to English (US) (which is my system default).

Amazingly, doing the same thing in Vista (the above was for XP), it
also cured the Word Spell Check bug in Word 2003 (there's also the
same bug in Word 2007, but it apparently involves modifying the
registry key...search the net for this workaround).

Again, your mileage may vary, and in a week from now this 'fix' may
not work even for me (such is the nature of this problem, which seems
to mysteriously come and go, from what I've seen on the net)

RL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Copy the following to Notepad, change the username to your Windows
UserName then save as proofing.reg. Merge the results to the registry - or
simply check whether these registry entries exist and are correct.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing
Tools\Spelling\1033\Normal]
"Engine"="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF\MSSPELL3.DLL"
"Dictionary"="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\PROOF\MSSP3_EN.LEX"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\Custom
Dictionaries]
"1"="C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application
Data\Microsoft\Proof\custom.dic"

raylopez99 wrote:
What is the protocol to make Word 2003 default to the normal
settings? SPell check is not working. The requisite files *.LEX are
in the proper directory.

OS is XP sp2.

Also I tried various things in this thread*, short of reinstalling
word.

RL

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c00011759069bc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement, microsoft.public.word.newusers
raylopez99 raylopez99 is offline

Graham Mayor--thanks for your website. Here are my Registry values
below, which differ slightly from what you recommend. I notice now
Word Spell Check "works" but rather crudely--it appears it is not that
smart, except for the most trivial cases, and certain words like
"filled" show up as errors. At the moment, compared to what I had
before (namely, no spell check whatsoever), these drawbacks are
acceptable, but I'd like to improve Spell Check if possible.

Where can I get (download, since I doubt my old CD has them) the
latest .DLL and .LEX for Word Spell Check, and will these work on Word
2003?

RL

Here is what I have, which differs slightly from what you recommend:

"1"="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\CUSTOM.DIC" {no
UserName}

"Engine"="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF
\MSSO232.DLL" {DLL older version?}
"Dictionary"="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF
\MSSP2_EN.LEX" {older version?}