Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Philos Philos is offline

Default The search "Find Next" with "wildcards" does not function properly

Concerning searches with wildcards in Microsoft Office Word 2003.
I am using the following characters in the search: [!.]@ and the
box "Use wildcards" is checked. Options: Search All.
I use two words, for example Essene[!.]@will and click on "find next"
I was searching a document with 397,000 words and with a Table of Contents
in the begginning; and 2,500 footnotes.
When I clicked on Find, sometimes it would not search or give any results at
all: not even a message that the search is completed.
Other times it would find several results of the search, and the next time I
click on "find" the cursor/search would return to the beginning of the
document. When I clicked again on "find" again, sometimes the search would
continuue down from the point that it had returned back to the beginning.
I removed the Table of Contents and I get better results: more succesfull
finds. But still the searches keep coming back to the beginning of the
document and sometimes stop. I do not get a message that the search was
completed.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Philos Philos is offline

Default The search "Find Next" with "wildcards" does not function prop

I will place the question in the original message so that eveyone can
understand when they read that message
"Jezebel" wrote:

What's the question?

"Philos" wrote in message
Concerning searches with wildcards in Microsoft Office Word 2003.
I am using the following characters in the search: [!.]@ and
the box "Use wildcards" is checked. Options: Search All.
I use two words, for example Essene[!.]@will and click on "find next"
I was searching a document with 397,000 words and with a Table of Contents
and 2,500 footnotes.
When I clicked on Find, sometimes it would not search or give any results
at all: not even a message that the search was completed.
Other times it would find several results of the search, and the next time
I click on "find" the search would return to the beginning of the
document, instead of continuing down. When I clicked again on "find" again, sometimes the search would continuue down from the point that it had returned back to the beginning. The search is unreliable.
I removed the Table of Contents and I got a little better results: more succesfull
finds. But still the searches keep coming back to the beginning of the
document and sometimes stop. It does not give a message that the search was
completed.
What is causing the search not to be reliable? What causes it sometime not to start and other times not to be completed?

Does the formating of a document have any effect on the search?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Philos Philos is offline

I use two words, for example Friend[!.]@will and click on "find next"
I was searching a document with 397,000 words and with a Table of Contents
in the begginning; and 2,500 footnotes.
When I clicked on Find, sometimes it would not search or give any results at
all: not even a message that the search is completed.
Other times it would find several results of the search, and the next time I
click on "find" the search would return to the beginning of the
document. When I clicked again on "find" again, it does not want to search.

I do not get a message that the search was completed.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Let's start again. Forget your search string. What exactly are you trying to
achieve?

Philos wrote:
"Philos" wrote:

Concerning searches with wildcards in Microsoft Office Word 2003.
I am using the following characters in the search: [!.]@
and the box "Use wildcards" is checked. Options: Search All.
I use two words, for example Friend[!.]@will and click on "find
next"
I was searching a document with 397,000 words and with a Table of
Contents in the begginning; and 2,500 footnotes.
When I clicked on Find, sometimes it would not search or give any
results at all: not even a message that the search is completed.
Other times it would find several results of the search, and the
next time I click on "find" the search would return to the beginning
of the