Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hmm hmm is offline

Default Keep captions with drawings and tables

I have drawings and tables with captions in my Word 2000 document. While
working, the captions and figures dance like Mexican jumping beans all over
my document! I would like to know how to keep them together.

I had difficulty using Stefan Blom's suggestion (thread started 7/5/2006) of
applying the "in line with text" wrapping style to the figure, and
encapsuling it in a frame together with the caption , because; 1) drawing
objects cannot have the "In line with text" wrapping style--the option is
grayed out; and 2) tables behave so unpredictably, and I was unable to put
one in a frame without drastic changes to the cell sizing.

Hoping someone has a suggestion; thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

For objects that don't support "In line with text," you can Edit | Cut
and then Edit | Paste Special, choosing a picture format which does
support "In line with text."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hmm" wrote in message
I have drawings and tables with captions in my Word 2000 document.

While
working, the captions and figures dance like Mexican jumping beans

all over
my document! I would like to know how to keep them together.

I had difficulty using Stefan Blom's suggestion (thread started

7/5/2006) of
applying the "in line with text" wrapping style to the figure, and
encapsuling it in a frame together with the caption , because; 1)

drawing
objects cannot have the "In line with text" wrapping style--the

option is
grayed out; and 2) tables behave so unpredictably, and I was unable

to put
one in a frame without drastic changes to the cell sizing.

Hoping someone has a suggestion; thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hmm hmm is offline

Thanks for the reply. Just a couple follow-up questions:

1. I assume that pasting it as "Enhance Metafile" will allow me to edit the
drawing object later. Is that correct?

2. What about tables? Is there a solution for tables?

"hmm" wrote in message
I have drawings and tables with captions in my Word 2000 document.

While
working, the captions and figures dance like Mexican jumping beans

all over
my document! I would like to know how to keep them together.

I had difficulty using Stefan Blom's suggestion (thread started

7/5/2006) of
applying the "in line with text" wrapping style to the figure, and
encapsuling it in a frame together with the caption , because; 1)

drawing
objects cannot have the "In line with text" wrapping style--the

option is
grayed out; and 2) tables behave so unpredictably, and I was unable

to put
one in a frame without drastic changes to the cell sizing.

Hoping someone has a suggestion; thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

1. Well, Word does allow you to open (some) pictures for editing, but
I'm not sure how useful it is.

If you are using autoshapes, deleting them, re-inserting, editing, and
converting them to a picture format again would probably be the
easiest way.

Of course, the best solution would be to use an application that was
designed to edit pictures, and then insert the pictures in Word after
editing is complete.

2. For tables, it should be more straightforward. You can set "Text
wrapping" to "None" (in Table | Table Properties).

If you need text to wrap around the table, just select it and its
caption and then add a frame (via the Insert Frame button on the Forms
toolbar).

If you don't need to wrap text, don't insert a frame; instead, use
"Keep with next" formatting (in Format | Paragraph): If the caption
precedes the table, use "Keep with next" for the caption. If the
caption follows the table, specify "Keep with next" for the last table
row.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP