Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dan

Default Macro Security

I am using VBA in an Access 2003 database to open a Word 2003 mail merge
document that is attached to the database. Even with the Word macro security
settings set to low the mail merge document is not connecting to the data
source. I have looked through various macro security documents to no avail.
Can anyone shed some light on what's happening?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RGFu?=,

I am using VBA in an Access 2003 database to open a Word 2003 mail merge
document that is attached to the database. Even with the Word macro security
settings set to low the mail merge document is not connecting to the data
source.

See this article

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You Open a Word
Document - 825765
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dan

Yes, I had read this article previously but it is not exactly clear. So, even
though I answer YES to the SQL prompt the merge document will not connect to
its data source? In order to allow the doc to connect I need to edit the
registry as per the article regardless of the macro security level setting?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?RGFu?=,

I am using VBA in an Access 2003 database to open a Word 2003 mail merge
document that is attached to the database. Even with the Word macro security
settings set to low the mail merge document is not connecting to the data
source.

See this article

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You Open a Word
Document - 825765
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RGFu?=,

Yes, I had read this article previously but it is not exactly clear. So, even
though I answer YES to the SQL prompt the merge document will not connect to
its data source? In order to allow the doc to connect I need to edit the
registry as per the article regardless of the macro security level setting?

When you use VBA to open a mail merge document, it cuts off the data source
without prompting. You have basically two choices:

1. Use the OpenDataSource method in your VBA code in order to link the data
source in each time

2. Set the Registry key mentioned in the article so that the SQL prompt is
completely disabled on the machine

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dan

The IT dept has nixed the registry edit mechanism, so, I'll have to use the
OpenDataSource Method. Can I run this method using MS Access VBA or will I
still run into the same problem? I have made a couple initial attempts with
no success. My initial code is as follows:

Set oDoc = GetObject(Forms![frmDocsMain]![Sub]![FilePath], "Word.Document")
oDoc.Application.Visible = True
oDoc.Application.WindowState = wdWindowStateMaximize

If its possible, from here I'm not exactly sure how to proceed with the
OpenDataSource code.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?RGFu?=,

Yes, I had read this article previously but it is not exactly clear. So, even
though I answer YES to the SQL prompt the merge document will not connect to
its data source? In order to allow the doc to connect I need to edit the
registry as per the article regardless of the macro security level setting?

When you use VBA to open a mail merge document, it cuts off the data source
without prompting. You have basically two choices:

1. Use the OpenDataSource method in your VBA code in order to link the data
source in each time

2. Set the Registry key mentioned in the article so that the SQL prompt is
completely disabled on the machine

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RGFu?=,

Can I run this method using MS Access VBA or will I
still run into the same problem? I have made a couple initial attempts with
no success. My initial code is as follows:

Set oDoc = GetObject(Forms![frmDocsMain]![Sub]![FilePath], "Word.Document")
oDoc.Application.Visible = True
oDoc.Application.WindowState = wdWindowStateMaximize

If its possible, from here I'm not exactly sure how to proceed with the
OpenDataSource code.

Best is to record linking to the data source in a Word macro, then copy the
result into your automation code and make any necessary adjustments (such as
replacing the hard-coded file path with a variable).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Word has stopped access to the Endnote 6.0 with macro security Tired and cranky student Microsoft Word Help 1 April 27th 05 01:05 AM
Macro Security JD Microsoft Word Help 11 April 24th 05 03:02 PM
macro security will not stay set jam Microsoft Word Help 1 April 6th 05 12:03 PM
Prevent User from Changing Macro Security JoyceJoseph Microsoft Word Help 1 March 31st 05 08:49 PM
Save As is not working due to macro security settings Craig Meritz Microsoft Word Help 1 December 16th 04 04:53 AM