Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
funnybroad funnybroad is offline

Default WORD '07 BUG: COMPATIBILITY MODE FOR NEW DOCUMENTS

According to the O2k7 Resource kit (specific page link below), if you set
your default save format to the 97-2003 formats, when you create a new
document in Word, it should automatically open the blank document in
[Compatibility Mode]. I've tried two completely different installations (one
at work with one set of media, and another at home with a different set of
media), and this isn't the case. I have to first save the new blank document
before [Compatibility Mode] kicks-in.

Excel and PowerPoint behave as described in the res. kit. New workbooks and
presentations open up automatically in compatibility mode if you've set the
default format to the 97-2003 formats.

Link to page in Resource Kit:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office...3.mspx?pf=true

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dian D. Chapman, MVP Dian D. Chapman, MVP is offline

PHULEEZE don't post the same question to multiple groups!

Dian D. Chapman
Technical Consultant, Microsoft MVP
MOS Certified Instructor, Editor/TechTrax Ezine
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Dian.Chapman

Free PC Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word Tricks eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:32:02 -0700, funnybroad
wrote:

According to the O2k7 Resource kit (specific page link below), if you set
your default save format to the 97-2003 formats, when you create a new
document in Word, it should automatically open the blank document in
[Compatibility Mode]. I've tried two completely different installations (one
at work with one set of media, and another at home with a different set of
media), and this isn't the case. I have to first save the new blank document
before [Compatibility Mode] kicks-in.

Excel and PowerPoint behave as described in the res. kit. New workbooks and
presentations open up automatically in compatibility mode if you've set the
default format to the 97-2003 formats.

Link to page in Resource Kit:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office...3.mspx?pf=true

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
funnybroad funnybroad is offline

PUHLEEZE get someone within Microsoft to acknowledge the problem and either
give me a solution, or a timeframe when I can expect one.

wrote:

According to the O2k7 Resource kit (specific page link below), if you set
your default save format to the 97-2003 formats, when you create a new
document in Word, it should automatically open the blank document in
[Compatibility Mode]. I've tried two completely different installations (one
at work with one set of media, and another at home with a different set of
media), and this isn't the case. I have to first save the new blank document
before [Compatibility Mode] kicks-in.

Excel and PowerPoint behave as described in the res. kit. New workbooks and
presentations open up automatically in compatibility mode if you've set the
default format to the 97-2003 formats.

Link to page in Resource Kit:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office...3.mspx?pf=true

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you want help from Microsoft then you need to approach Microsoft who will
be happy to take your money. This is a user peer group. No-one here works
for Microsoft..

wrote:

According to the O2k7 Resource kit (specific page link below), if
you set your default save format to the 97-2003 formats, when you
create a new document in Word, it should automatically open the
blank document in [Compatibility Mode]. I've tried two completely
different installations (one at work with one set of media, and
another at home with a different set of media), and this isn't the
case. I have to first save the new blank document before
[Compatibility Mode] kicks-in.

Excel and PowerPoint behave as described in the res. kit. New
workbooks and presentations open up automatically in compatibility
mode if you've set the default format to the 97-2003 formats.

Link to page in Resource Kit:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office...3.mspx?pf=true

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

As I've said elsewhere, Compatibility mode isn't really very useful and most
people think there are more important issues in need of attention in Word
2007. At best, your problem is a very minor one and, although I can't speak
for Microsoft, I doubt you will get what you consider a satisfactory
resolution even if you pay for it; I would think that the best you could
expect would be a change to the web page so that it tells you what you
already know.

What benefit were you hoping to get out of this?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
funnybroad funnybroad is offline

Thanks for your response, and you're right... for one person, especially an
experienced user, it's minor

But multiply it by the 20,000+ not-so-experienced users we have to roll this
out to. Then it's not so minor.

The users will have to be trained that 1) getting into compatibility mode
for new docs in Word is different than Excel and PowerPoint (source of
confusion) 2) they need to immediately save a new document in Word before
editing it (awkward) -or- try to remember what features are not 100% feature
refresh (there's a long list) -or- try to explain the gruesome details of
handling the compatibility prompts when they do finally save the document.

Call me crazy, but I think user experience for our users is important, and a
lot of confusion can be avoided if Microsoft could just make their software
behave like it's described in their resource kit.

The benefit I'm hoping for is this: EVIDENCE. Unless I can demonstrate to
our Microsoft TAM that this issue is a problem with the software, and not
with something we're doing wrong with our installation of it, they will
charge us money to open a "ticket".

So I try to gather information from various sources (including discussion
groups) as 'evidence'.

Thanks again Tony, I appreciate it!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
funnybroad funnybroad is offline

Yes, our Office 2003 users have the compatibility pack installed.

How will this help me with the behavior of how/when Word 2007 kicks into
compatibility mode for newly created documents?

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
funnybroad funnybroad is offline

Unfortunately, that's what I'm trying to do... avoid giving Microsoft more
money from my company. My boss wouldn't be real happy if I made him pay to
get the status of a bug/issue with Word 2007 that we didn't cause ourselves.

Also, I've posted this and numerous other questions on Microsoft's "Managed
Newsgroup", because we have 'software assurance', and although they state on
their main page: "A commitment to respond to your post by the next business
day (English only)." , I've discovered that 'commitment' doesn't necessarily
mean "guarantee".

At the end of the day, I'd be satisfied if Microsoft would just say, "Yes,
we acknowledge the inconsistency, and we're not going to fix it in the
foreseeable future"

That way, I can report that back to my managers, work around it, and move on
with our rollout to 20,000 users.

By the way, do you observe the same behavior with your installation of Word
2007?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you want help from Microsoft then you need to approach Microsoft who will
be happy to take your money. This is a user peer group. No-one here works
for Microsoft..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rod(NH) Rod(NH) is offline

Hi. You're not getting much satisfaction here are you? I agree with you and
am experience the exact same problem myself, if that is any consolation. I
have Word (also Excel & Powerpoint) 2007 configured to default save as
97-2003 .doc format but new files do not open in compatibility mode as they
do in Excel and Powerpoint. Sure looks like a bug in Word to me. And not a
minor one either, considering user confusion with the new formats.
--
Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

A couple of points to ponder ...

Firstly I have to wonder, if you're rolling this out to 20K users, why you
want compatibility. How many users will you have who remain on an earlier
version?

Secondly, I think you need to be aware that, even in compatibility mode,
your users will still see compatibility prompts in some circumstances and
may also see other effects of constantly saving down-level. They may need
more training to work this way than they would to use the product in
'normal' mode and I think their experience of using the product will be less
enjoyable, and may be more confusing, in compatibility mode.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Manticorr Manticorr is offline

Try going to the layout portion at the bottom of the advanced section of Word
Options and selecting Word 2003 layout.
--
Manticorr

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word 2007 does not create new documents in 'compatibility' mode. It creates
them in its own internal format. It is only when you save the document that
the saved file is in compatibility format - if that is what you have
selected as default. *All* Word documents whilst open in Word are using the
internal Word format. This is not a bug. It is how it is supposed to work.
All previous Word versions were the same.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you want help from Microsoft then you need to approach Microsoft
who will be happy to take your money. This is a user peer group.
No-one here works for Microsoft..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
funnybroad funnybroad is offline

Not want compatibility for 20k users? How many companies do you know of who
can roll Office 2007 out to that many users that quickly to not have to be
concerned about compatibility?

If you know of any, please let me know so that I can learn how they do it
without bringing its I.T. support staff to its knees.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
funnybroad funnybroad is offline

Thank you for your response, however, this setting does not "stick" for "All
Documents". Try this:

Office Button / Word Options / Advanced / Compatibility Options
In the drop-down list next to "Compatibility Options for", select "All New
Documents"
In the drop-down list next to "Lay out this document as if created in:",
select "Microsoft Office Word 2003"
Click OK

Now go back and check the same setting again. No matter what you do to try
to save the setting to "Microsoft Office Word 2003", it will always revert
back to "Microsoft Office Word 2007" for "All New Documents"

Another odd thing: If you select anything else (such as "Microsoft Office
Word 2002", "Microsoft Office Word 2000", etc...) the setting will be
retained after clicking OK.

At the end of the day, regardless of what this is set to, newly created
documents in Word will never open in Compatibility mode (as documented that
it should in the Resource Kit).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

It is perfectly reasonable to be concerned about compatibility - to which
there are many aspects - but I don't understand why you want to buy 20k new
licences, and train 20,000 users, in order not to use the new facilities.

All that Compatibility Mode does is suppress some elements of the UI which
provide new features which cannot be stored in the old format. It does not
suppress all 2007 features in the UI and doesn't, AFAIK, suppress any in
VBA. Your users will see it and need to understand what it is and what
effects it has, and that must be part of the training you give them. I
cannot imagine for a moment that imposing it would in any way reduce the
amount of support they will need, or benefit them, or you, in any way. As it
doesn't seem possible - and I see the same as you report - the question is,
of course, moot.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ThaViper ThaViper is offline

Hi there,

I got the same problem with the "save as default file format" option. We
push this option trough Group Policy. The setting takes effect on alle the
computers. I checked this by using the RSoP tool.

When I open Word and save the file then there's still the posibility to save
as 97-2003 file format BUT it is nog the default value of save file. The
default setting is Office 2007 file format.

When i set the options manual the problem's still there.

"funnybroad" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
booley booley is offline

I'm late to the party but we share the same concerns\requirements as
funnybroad. I found this entry on the labnol blog and it seems to work.

------------------
To force Compatibility Mode in Word 2007 for even new documents, you may add
the CompatMode key to the registry as explained he

Find the following section in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Options

In the right panel, right-click and choose New - DWord. Replace New Value #1
with CompatMode

Double-click CompatMode, and replace the 0 with a 1.

Close the registry, then start Word. All document will be editable in
compatibility mode now. Thanks Herbs on MVP newsgroups.