Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Foobster Foobster is offline

Default Is possible to use different caption formats in the same document?

I have run into some problems related to a multi-section document (my master
thesis). The problem has grown into a very complicated matter, probably
because I'm not good enough. Assume that the document consists of two
sections called REPORT and APPENDIX.

1) I need a TOC for each part, but they shall not be overlapping. The
headings in REPORT are to be visible in TOC1 and APPENDIX in TOC2.

2) The numbering of headings in the two part should not be sequential. In
REPORT, the normal konvention 1.1.1 is used. For APPENDIX I created a set of
new headings with a different numbering; A1.1. The reason for this is that it
will facilitate refering to paragraphs between the two sections.

3) The TOCs were now easy to create separately, by choosing what headings to
include.

So far everything seems to work out fine, but then another problem arose.
The captions.

4) It apperas as if it is only possible to compile caption numbering by
using the standard headings (and not those of my own creation). Furthermore,
it seems impossible to use different caption styles/numbering in the
different sections.

In REPORT everything works as normal, and the figures get the correct
caption: Figure {chapter}.number.

However, in APPENDIX, the {chapter} can not be obtained. Preferably it
should follow the same pattern, which would give the first picture the
caption: Figure A1.1

5) One acceptable solution would be to use another format in APPENDIX. For
instance to have the pictures numbered without reference to what chapter it
is located in.

When changes are made under insert-references-caption, it is automatically
applied to all captions in the entire document, a manual strategy was tried.
To delete the "0" in every caption in APPENDIX. Unfortunately, the fields
automatically changes back when another caption is added.

What should I have done differently?
Is word capable of doing this, if so how?
How should I proceed to obtain the desired results?
How are problem like these normally solved?
Are there other programs more suitable for handling large documents?

The version I'm working in: Word 2003 professional SP2 (Swedish version)

I'm looking forward to getting any help, suggestions and strategies that
might be of use.

Kindest regards,
Claes Hagström

TOC formats Epinn Microsoft Word Help 5 September 17th 06 05:31 PM
Problems using document map kempofighter Microsoft Word Help 4 January 19th 06 05:33 PM
how can I have two formats of page numbers in the same document? azahar Microsoft Word Help 1 May 13th 05 04:16 AM
Insert caption in Word document EnduserRob1975 Mailmerge 1 December 15th 04 03:32 PM
Formatting one word formats the whole document Barb Miles Formatting Long Documents 1 December 2nd 04 05:37 AM