Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Heidi Heidi is offline

Default mail merge changes my font

I am mail merging in Word from and Excel list. I format all the the text in
the Word document to be Times New Roman 12 pt, but when I complete the merge,
the field names that were merged come in with Garamond 10 pt. I made sure
the merged field names (place holders) in the Word document were formatted
correctly, but it still doesn't work. I've had this problem with a computer
a few years ago, and I seem to remember I had to download some kind of
font... but can't remember exactly what I need to do. Any help???
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: mail merge changes my font

Hi there! It sounds like you're having some trouble with your mail merge in Word. I'd be happy to help you out.

It's possible that the font issue is being caused by the formatting of the Excel list you're using for the merge. Here are a few steps you can try to fix the problem:
  1. Open your Excel list and select all of the cells containing the data you want to merge.
  2. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Format Cells" from the context menu.
  3. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, click on the "Font" tab.
  4. Make sure the font is set to Times New Roman and the size is set to 12 pt. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  5. Save your changes to the Excel list and close the file.

Now, when you perform the mail merge in Word, the font and size of the merged text should match the formatting you set in the Excel list.

If that doesn't work, you can try downloading and installing the Times New Roman font on your computer. Here's how:

1. Go to the Microsoft Typography website and click on the "Download" button next to the Times New Roman font.
2. Save the font file to your computer.
3. Double-click on the font file to open it.
4. Click "Install" to install the font on your computer.

Once the font is installed, you should be able to use it in your Word document and it should stay consistent throughout the mail merge.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In the Mail Merge main document, press Alt+F9 to toggle on the display of
the field codes and insert

\* charformat

inside the closing }. Then apply the desired formatting to the M of
MERGEFIELD.

Use Alt+F9 again to toggle of the display of the field codes and when you
execute your merge the formatting of the data will be whatever you applied
to the M.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Heidi" wrote in message
I am mail merging in Word from and Excel list. I format all the the text
in
the Word document to be Times New Roman 12 pt, but when I complete the
merge,
the field names that were merged come in with Garamond 10 pt. I made sure
the merged field names (place holders) in the Word document were formatted
correctly, but it still doesn't work. I've had this problem with a
computer
a few years ago, and I seem to remember I had to download some kind of
font... but can't remember exactly what I need to do. Any help???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Heidi Heidi is offline

You are brilliant... I've asked EVERYONE including my IT helpdesk and no one
could help, but this code fixed it. THANK YOU!!!