June

Default Spell Check, on Word 2002; Other Languages

I am editing a 275 document and the Spell Check (the
version that shows errors with red underlines as you type)
worked fine the first two times. The third time, a
screen popped up and said the document "was too long for
spell check to continue", so I must use the Spell Check
on the tool bar.

The tool bar option is a problem since it allows only a
small screen and a word-by-word view. I used it and
later found many errors in spacing, etc.

"Help" said to turn red wavy lines back on, but how? I
checked Options, Tools, & the Spelling & Grammar Tab, Set
Language, and so on. Help told me to check if I had this
format, but Reveal Format shows nothing.

How can I get the "as you go" spell check with the red
underlines to work again? (Sorry I don't have the
correct names for the two different spell check
versions.) Many Thanks.

I am confused. If I do this, then I have no spell check
at all. I do have the proper proofing tools and they
work on all other documents and worked on this one, too,
until the third run-through. So the question is, how
can I restore the spell check that I had?
If you do not have the appropriate proofing tools for

the language you're
using, then you can set the spelling checker to "Do not

check spelling or
grammar."

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"June" wrote in

message
[...]

.

I guess my question is why, if the language applied to the text matches the
proofing tools, you have so many words marked as misspelled. The idea of
"Check spelling as you type" is to allow you to correct the words as you go.
If you do this, you should not be getting the "Too many spelling errors to
display" message unless you have a lot of proper names or the like. If you
don't want to add them to the dictionary, you can select those specific
words and format them not to be proofed.

wrote in message
[...]

June

That's it! This manuscript has dozens of Arabic names,
and there's no consistency to the author's spellingof
those names, I feared adding them to the Dictionary, so I
just clicked "Ignore this Once" each time. OK, how do I
tell it not to proof those words? Thanks.

wrote in message
[...]

I'm afraid it's not very easy. You have to select the word not to be
proofed, then go to Tools | Language | Set Language, and check the box for
"Do not check spelling or grammar." The best approach for this would
probably be to create a character style (you could call it No Proofing)
defined as Default Paragraph Font (that is, whatever the underlying font
formatting is) + Do not check spelling or grammar. Then apply this character
style to words you don't want proofed.

I experimented with this, and it is *not* easy to do. When you create the
style and select Format: Language, the check boxes are both checked and
grayed out. You have to explicitly check "Do not check spelling or grammar"
but you also have to select a language (it didn't work until I explicitly
selected "English (U.S.)"). And then I had to reapply the modified style to
make it work, but I did ultimately get it working. If you apply a keyboard
shortcut to the character style, it would be pretty quick to apply.