Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
midnitethekat

Default How to unprotect the footer and leave rest of document protected?

We have created a document to be used as a template for written protocols. We
have inserted text fields under the required headings for users to type in
to. We also have a footer where a protocol version date must be typed in. How
can I protect the document so that the fields work, but leave the footer
unprotected so that a version date can be typed in (Word won't allow me to
place a text field in the footer.).

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Stylerefs are probably simpler, but you can force an update by running an
update macro on exit from the field the REF refers to. There is suitable
code at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Put the text field in the body and a REF field to duplicate it in the
footer.

"midnitethekat" wrote in
message ...
We have created a document to be used as a template for written
protocols. We
have inserted text fields under the required headings for users to
type in to. We also have a footer where a protocol version date
must be typed in. How
can I protect the document so that the fields work, but leave the
footer unprotected so that a version date can be typed in (Word
won't allow me to place a text field in the footer.).

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The disadvantage of any solution requiring a macro is that if the form is to
be distributed to a lot of people, the macro has to be saved with the
document, and many users will disable the macro either tacitly (because
Macro Security is set to High) or explicitly (with Medium Security, by
saying no to the enable/disable dialog).