Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DopDop DopDop is offline

Default How do I add up a column of numbers

This new version on WORD doesn't provide easy access to the SUM feature that
was part of Formula in the TABLES feature. How do I find it? I want to have
a total to a column of numbers.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 07:59:00 -0800, DopDop
wrote:

This new version on WORD doesn't provide easy access to the SUM feature that
was part of Formula in the TABLES feature. How do I find it? I want to have
a total to a column of numbers.

When the cursor is in a table, the Table Tools tab appears on the
ribbon, with Design and Layout tabs within that. In the Data group at
the far right end of the Layout tab you'll find the Formula button (if
the Word window is less than full-screen width, the Data group will be
collapsed to a button, and the buttons it contains will be in a
dropdown).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DopDop DopDop is offline

wrote:

This new version on WORD doesn't provide easy access to the SUM feature that
was part of Formula in the TABLES feature. How do I find it? I want to have
a total to a column of numbers.

When the cursor is in a table, the Table Tools tab appears on the
ribbon, with Design and Layout tabs within that. In the Data group at
the far right end of the Layout tab you'll find the Formula button (if
the Word window is less than full-screen width, the Data group will be
collapsed to a button, and the buttons it contains will be in a
dropdown).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Thanks Jay, but none of that is happening for me. I don't know if it's because this table was created in Word 97, but no ribbon appears when the cursor is on it. Nothing appears, so there's no ribbon to deal with. Why does each successive version of Word get more complicated instead of more intuitive? Anyway, it's not working the way you seem to think it should.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

wrote:

[...]

The absence of the Table tabs is not a situation I've run into before.
Is it also the case when you insert a new table in a blank document?
If so, go to Office button Word Options Resources Run Office
Diagnostics to see if you can fix Word.

If it's just this document that has the problem, you have a choice at
this point between trying to fix the document so it behaves as it
should, or trying to force a workaround. The choice depends on whether
you expect to change and re-use the document (so you should fix it) or
whether it's a one-time job (just get it done and then throw it away).

To try to fix the document, select the table, copy it to the
clipboard, and paste it into an empty worksheet Excel. If everything
looks ok there, copy it and paste into a new blank Word document. If
you now see the Table Tools tab on the ribbon, you have a usable
table. Delete the original table from the first document, then
copy/paste the new table in its place.

Another thing you can try is this: In the Open dialog, select your
document, click the down arrow next to the Open button, and choose
"Open and Repair".

If you just want to hack the document to get the job done, put the
cursor in the cell where the total belongs. Type this in the cell:

=SUM(ABOVE)

Select all of that, press Ctrl+F9 to make it a field, and press F9 to
update it. This is exactly what you would get from the Formula button.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Could it be that the "table" is not a table but has been created with tabs?
If so, you can use column select and the old ToolsCalculate command (if it
can still be found).

wrote:

This new version on WORD doesn't provide easy access to the SUM

feature that
was part of Formula in the TABLES feature. How do I find it? I want

to have
a total to a column of numbers.

When the cursor is in a table, the Table Tools tab appears on the
ribbon, with Design and Layout tabs within that. In the Data group at
the far right end of the Layout tab you'll find the Formula button (if
the Word window is less than full-screen width, the Data group will be
collapsed to a button, and the buttons it contains will be in a
dropdown).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

newsgroup so all may benefit.

[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

That tool is still available, but it has to be added to the Quick
Access Toolbar (in the Customize dialog, it's in the "Commands Not in
the Ribbon" category as "Calculate").

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:07:55 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Could it be that the "table" is not a table but has been created with tabs?
If so, you can use column select and the old ToolsCalculate command (if it
can still be found).

.. .