Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
adgorn adgorn is offline

Default search for empty cells in word tables

I have a document with many tables, including nested tables. I need to be
able to find all the cells that are empty since we may need to put a value in
there. It would be great to be able to go from empty cell to empty cell one
at a time. Any thoughts? Thanks.
--
Alan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Alan,

Here's some code to do the testing:

Sub TableTest()
Dim oTbl As Table
Dim oCel As Cell
With ActiveDocument.Range
For Each oTbl In .Tables
For Each oCel In oTbl.Range.Cells
If oCel.Range.Text = vbCr & Chr(7) Then MsgBox "Cell " & _
oCel.ColumnIndex & "," & oCel.RowIndex & " is empty."
Next
Next
End With
End Sub

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"adgorn" wrote in message ...
I have a document with many tables, including nested tables. I need to be
able to find all the cells that are empty since we may need to put a value in
there. It would be great to be able to go from empty cell to empty cell one
at a time. Any thoughts? Thanks.
--
Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
adgorn adgorn is offline

That seems to be identifying the cells. What I really need is to have the
cursor jump from empty cell to the next empty cell rather than a message.
Possible?
--
Alan

"adgorn" wrote in message ...
I have a document with many tables, including nested tables. I need to be
able to find all the cells that are empty since we may need to put a value in
there. It would be great to be able to go from empty cell to empty cell one
at a time. Any thoughts? Thanks.
--
Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Alan,

Your first email said you needed to find the cell so that you could put something there. The code I posted identifies the cell, but
you didn't say what value you want to put there.

If you want to put something into a cell programmatically, you don't have to 'go' there - all you need is to replace the message box
code with whatever action you want to perform. For example:
If oCel.Range.Text = vbCr & Chr(7) Then oCel.Range.Text ="Hello World"
or
If oCel.Range.Text = vbCr & Chr(7) Then oCel.Range.Text = InputBox("Type your text")

If you actually need to select the cell so that you can do something with it manually, that can be done, but it means terminating
the code at that point:
If oCel.Range.Text = vbCr & Chr(7) Then
oCel.Select
Exit Sub