Gary

Default Word Will Not Open Specified File

Symptom: When I click on a MS Word 2003 file icon (either .doc or .rtf), or
attempt to open an MS Word attachment on Outlook, MS Word opens properly, but
will not open the file that I selected and that properly started the
application. MS word is part of an Office 2003 Professional package. All
other Office applications start properly and open the selected file. When I
open MS Word directly from its application icon, there are no problems. It
opens to a blank page, and not no page at all. I have done the following
without success:

1. Removed Office completely and run the MS clean up utility, reinstalled,
added all the Services Packs and updates for Office.

2. Installed all Windows XP Home Edition updates.

3. Checked the file properties for property settings for DOC, DOT, RTF, etc.
All check OK

4. Check the knowledge base and there seems to be other occurrances of this
problem, but no concrete solution other than the items that I have preformed
already, other than wipe the drive and start over.

Any ideas?
PopS

It sounds like a corrupted Shortcut. When you did the reinstall,
did you also wipe out the shortcut for that file? A reinstall
wouldn't necessarily have gotten rid of it.

Can you create a new shortcut to the doc you want, and will that
open it?

You really need to provide more information; describe step by
step what/where/how you do each step of the process when it does
not work.

HTH,
Pop

news : Symptom: When I click on a MS Word 2003 file icon (either .doc
:
: 1. Removed Office completely and run the MS clean up utility,
reinstalled,
: added all the Services Packs and updates for Office.
:
: 2. Installed all Windows XP Home Edition updates.
:
: 3. Checked the file properties for property settings for DOC,
DOT, RTF, etc.
: All check OK
:
: 4. Check the knowledge base and there seems to be other
occurrances of this
: problem, but no concrete solution other than the items that I
have preformed
: already, other than wipe the drive and start over.
:
: Any ideas?
: --
: g