Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Marcus Fox

Default Indenting part of a paragraph...

There is a question that says "Inset this text from the left margin at least
35mm but no more than 50mm across and at least 60mm but no more than 75mm
down." I have tried using tabs but it seems to do either one line or the
whole paragraph.

The teacher of the class was not able to help. The closest solution I was
able to render was to insert a rectangle of that specified size tight with
the text so it was wrapped around it, and set the colour of the rectangle
border to "no line".

Is there an easier solution, or is that it?

Marcus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Without your description, I would have assumed that the instructions
described a left indent and Space Before.

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
There is a question that says "Inset this text from the left margin at

least
35mm but no more than 50mm across and at least 60mm but no more than 75mm
down." I have tried using tabs but it seems to do either one line or the
whole paragraph.

The teacher of the class was not able to help. The closest solution I was
able to render was to insert a rectangle of that specified size tight with
the text so it was wrapped around it, and set the colour of the rectangle
border to "no line".

Is there an easier solution, or is that it?

Marcus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman

That's it.

In Word, each formatting property is associated with some level of
detail (from largest to smallest, the levels are document, section,
paragraph, sentence, word, and character). Indenting is a
paragraph-level property. You can tell Word to indent the first line
of a paragraph differently than the other lines, but that's the limit
of the flexibility.

Thus, to indent some selection of lines that aren't either a full
paragraph or the first line of a paragraph, you need to use the
wrapping capabilities of some drawing object. It could be an AutoShape
(rectangle or any other shape), a text box, a frame, or a table with
text wrapping turned on. Any of these can be made invisible by setting
the line color appropriately.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:56:21 GMT, "Marcus Fox"
wrote:

There is a question that says "Inset this text from the left margin at least
35mm but no more than 50mm across and at least 60mm but no more than 75mm
down." I have tried using tabs but it seems to do either one line or the
whole paragraph.

The teacher of the class was not able to help. The closest solution I was
able to render was to insert a rectangle of that specified size tight with
the text so it was wrapped around it, and set the colour of the rectangle
border to "no line".

Is there an easier solution, or is that it?

Marcus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Marcus Fox

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Without your description, I would have assumed that the instructions
described a left indent and Space Before.

Yes, but the paragraph as typed is more than 60mm deep, and after this
indent, needs to become aligned at the left margin once again. The best I
could do was to have it wrap around an object of those given dimensions.

Marcus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Marcus Fox

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
That's it.

In Word, each formatting property is associated with some level of
detail (from largest to smallest, the levels are document, section,
paragraph, sentence, word, and character). Indenting is a
paragraph-level property. You can tell Word to indent the first line
of a paragraph differently than the other lines, but that's the limit
of the flexibility.

Thus, to indent some selection of lines that aren't either a full
paragraph or the first line of a paragraph, you need to use the
wrapping capabilities of some drawing object. It could be an AutoShape
(rectangle or any other shape), a text box, a frame, or a table with
text wrapping turned on. Any of these can be made invisible by setting
the line color appropriately.

Okay, is it possible in some way to specify the size of the drawing object
in a dialog or similar, rather than having to compare it up against the
ruler on the screen in Word? Which drawing object should I use?

Marcus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

What I meant was that the words "at least 60mm but no more than 75mm down"
don't make any sense in connection with "from the left margin," so I would
have taken them to mean "from the preceding paragraph" or "from the top
margin" or whatever.

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Without your description, I would have assumed that the instructions
described a left indent and Space Before.

Yes, but the paragraph as typed is more than 60mm deep, and after this
indent, needs to become aligned at the left margin once again. The best I
could do was to have it wrap around an object of those given dimensions.

Marcus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 15 May 2006 17:19:02 GMT, "Marcus Fox"
wrote:

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'd use the rectangle tool from the Drawing toolbar, as it's probably
simplest (but not by much).

After drawing the rectangle to approximately the right size,
right-click it and select Format AutoShape. In that dialog:

- On the Colors & Lines tab, set "no line".
- On the Size tab, set the size you want.
- On the Layout tab, set the wrapping to Tight and the horizontal
alignment to Left. Then click the Advanced button; make sure the
vertical alignment is set to 0 relative to Paragraph, and that Move
With Text is checked.

The other objects I mentioned have similar but not identical dialogs.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Marcus Fox

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What I meant was that the words "at least 60mm but no more than 75mm down"
don't make any sense in connection with "from the left margin," so I would
have taken them to mean "from the preceding paragraph" or "from the top
margin" or whatever.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Where "aaaaaaaaaaaaa" is ordinary typed text with spaces. The space starts
where the instruction to add it is indicated, can be where the paragraph
starts or in the middle of the paragraph.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Marcus Fox

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message news

[...]

Hmmm, first attempt didn't work, i'll try again. Whitespace indicated by
"............."

Marcus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it's easy enough to do in Word 2000, but in Word XP, a poxy "create
your drawing here" box appears, and shifts the text around. Can I disable
that somehow?

Marcus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Tools | Options | General: clear the last check box for "Automatically
create drawing canvas..."

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman

wrote:

[...]

Yes. In Tools Options General, uncheck the box for "Automatically
create drawing canvas when inserting AutoShapes".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

[...]