Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

Using WORD 2002, and XP.

There are a few fonts from an even older Word that I have on my PC that I
would like
to import and use in Word 2002.

How can I do this, please ?

Also, is it possible to import any fonts that might be available for free
from outside of Word ?
If so, how and from where ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Amedee Van Gasse

Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Provided the printer you have selected as the default is capable of
printing TrueType fonts, Word will use all the fonts that are
installed in the Windows Fonts folder.

Ouch! Suzanne, you should know better. Simply copying .ttf files to
your Windows Fonts folder is a dirrrrrrty way of installing fonts.

The recommended way is with Start -- Settings -- Control Panel --
Fonts -- File -- Install new font

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

Reread my answer. Does it not say "installed in the Windows Fonts folder"?
As a matter of practicality, though, I don't believe there is any actual
difference between "installing" a font and copying/moving it to the Fonts
folder. The only advantage to "installing" is that it allows you to see the
font name (as opposed to just the filename) when you copy the font.

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Provided the printer you have selected as the default is capable of
printing TrueType fonts, Word will use all the fonts that are
installed in the Windows Fonts folder.

Ouch! Suzanne, you should know better. Simply copying .ttf files to
your Windows Fonts folder is a dirrrrrrty way of installing fonts.

The recommended way is with Start -- Settings -- Control Panel --
Fonts -- File -- Install new font

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

Amedee Van Gasse

Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Reread my answer. Does it not say "installed in the Windows Fonts
folder"? As a matter of practicality, though, I don't believe there
is any actual difference between "installing" a font and
copying/moving it to the Fonts folder. The only advantage to
"installing" is that it allows you to see the font name (as opposed
to just the filename) when you copy the font.

In my experience (helldesk) I have witnessed numerous cases where there
was an issue because a ttf file was simply copied to the fonts folder.
Deleting the ttf file and re-installing it the proper way usually
solved the case.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

Amedee Van Gasse

TF shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

I believe there is a Windows registration process which is why you
need to do it the 'long way'.

Terry: that is absolutely correct.