Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nukecity Nukecity is offline

Default File Size increase when saving versions...

I have been saving versions of a Word Document (File / Versions... / Save
Now) to keep a change history. The original document was approximately .7 MB.
With the additional versions, it grew as one would expect. Now, I've deleted
the old versions, but the file size is still around 2 MB. Seems to me the
file size should revert back to about .7 MB. I'm not concerned about the size
itself, since 2 MB is still small by today's standards. But, as I add to this
document and begin saving and deleting historical versions, this could become
a problem. Anybody know how to compress a Word document, like you can with an
Access database?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

After removing the versions in Word 2003 if you use File=Save As, to save the file to a new file name, do you get a reduced size.

FWIW, the versions feature has been moved out of Word in the 2007 editions, to be a part of the MS Office Sharepoint document
management features.

================
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Saving versions not only increases file size but is a good way to end up
with a corrupt document. You would be better advised to save versions
manually, by renaming the file periodically.

"Nukecity" wrote in message
I have been saving versions of a Word Document (File / Versions... / Save
Now) to keep a change history. The original document was approximately .7

MB.
With the additional versions, it grew as one would expect. Now, I've

deleted
the old versions, but the file size is still around 2 MB. Seems to me the
file size should revert back to about .7 MB. I'm not concerned about the

size
itself, since 2 MB is still small by today's standards. But, as I add to

this
document and begin saving and deleting historical versions, this could

become
a problem. Anybody know how to compress a Word document, like you can with

an
Access database?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nukecity Nukecity is offline

Thanks for the warning about corrupting the document. Another user suggested
Save As to a new document, but it was still the same file size. The version
feature will apparently be removed in the upcoming 2007 build of Office. I'll
go with your suggestion, though I liked the idea of one document having the
version history.

"Nukecity" wrote in message
I have been saving versions of a Word Document (File / Versions... / Save
Now) to keep a change history. The original document was approximately .7

MB.
With the additional versions, it grew as one would expect. Now, I've

deleted
the old versions, but the file size is still around 2 MB. Seems to me the
file size should revert back to about .7 MB. I'm not concerned about the

size
itself, since 2 MB is still small by today's standards. But, as I add to

this
document and begin saving and deleting historical versions, this could

become
a problem. Anybody know how to compress a Word document, like you can with

an
Access database?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Not really all that strange. The Versions feature is known to cause
issues and document corruption. I suspect that's one of the reasons
they discontinued it in Word 2007.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...e_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/