Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
artnlsn artnlsn is offline

Default Insertion point

I'm using Word 2002. How do I place the cursor below a line of text using
the mouse pointer? Thanks for you help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You don't. The insertion point can't be where there is no text (unless you
enable the abominable "Click and type").

"artnlsn" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2002. How do I place the cursor below a line of text using
the mouse pointer? Thanks for you help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pop` Pop` is offline

"artnlsn" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2002. How do I place the cursor below a line of text
using the mouse pointer? Thanks for you help.

Curious: Why do you see that as abominable? I find it pretty handy in a
few different cases.

Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It may be handy in a few cases, mostly throwaway documents that you'll print
once and then discard. The experts consider it abominable because it uses a
ton of empty paragraph marks to set the vertical position on the page. In
any document that will be saved and edited again, that's a recipe for
trouble. We also find it objectionable that it's turned on by default in a
new installation, probably in the hope of making it "discoverable" for new
users (when, frankly, we wish it wasn't discoverable at all).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"artnlsn" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2002. How do I place the cursor below a line of text
using the mouse pointer? Thanks for you help.

Curious: Why do you see that as abominable? I find it pretty handy
in a few different cases.

Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pop` Pop` is offline

Jay Freedman wrote:
It may be handy in a few cases, mostly throwaway documents that
you'll print once and then discard. The experts consider it
abominable because it uses a ton of empty paragraph marks to set the
vertical position on the page. In any document that will be saved and
edited again, that's a recipe for trouble. We also find it
objectionable that it's turned on by default in a new installation,
probably in the hope of making it "discoverable" for new users (when,
frankly, we wish it wasn't discoverable at all).

Huh. I respect your knowledge and have seen you around quite a bit, so I
know you know what you're talking about. I guess I expected something more
techie, honestly.
Mostly because all it does is create para marks down to the click point,
and a tab if it's not clicked at column 1. I find it fairly useful at
times, especially if I'm intentionally creating white space in a document.
Guess it's more a case of preferences. It certainly doesn't represent
any "recipe" for disaster that I can see! More lke a ymmv case, I guess.
No big dea.

By the way, there is no "we".

Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:50:07 -0400, "Pop`"
wrote:

Jay Freedman wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's a case of preferences. I suppose if no one liked Click &
Type, it wouldn't still be part of the program. Look at what happened
to poor old Clippy...

I didn't say it was a recipe for disaster, just that it's a recipe for
trouble in documents that will be used repeatedly.

When I said "we" I was referring to the Word and Office MVPs and many
other frequent contributors in these newsgroups. I'll leave the "royal
plural" to Queen Elizabeth. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman