Dixie

Default Merge source

I just need to know at this stage if this is possible. Can I automate Word
2000 mailmerge from Access 2000 such that the automation code has the
location of the merge data in it and the mailmerge letter does not itself
need to know where to look for its merge data? I know you can tell it where
the data is in the automation code in Access, but I don't seeem to be able
to build a mailmerge Word template that doesn't have a destination for the
data to merge.

Doug Robbins

It certainly is. Take a look at the information on fellow MVP Albert
Kallal's website at

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKal...rge/index.html

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Dixie" wrote in message
I just need to know at this stage if this is possible. Can I automate Word
2000 mailmerge from Access 2000 such that the automation code has the
location of the merge data in it and the mailmerge letter does not itself
need to know where to look for its merge data? I know you can tell it
where the data is in the automation code in Access, but I don't seeem to be
able to build a mailmerge Word template that doesn't have a destination for
the data to merge.

Dixie

I read all that Doug and I must admit that I don't see how it relates to my
problem. I am happy with my automation code, but just need to be able to
build many templates for my automated letters which receive the instruction
for where their merge data file is located from the automation code itself
and not have it inserted in the mailmerge template. This way, it doesn't
matter which directory the data text file is sent to, the mailmerge will
still find it.

dixie

"Dixie" wrote in message
I just need to know at this stage if this is possible. Can I automate
Word 2000 mailmerge from Access 2000 such that the automation code has the
location of the merge data in it and the mailmerge letter does not itself
need to know where to look for its merge data? I know you can tell it
where the data is in the automation code in Access, but I don't seeem to
be able to build a mailmerge Word template that doesn't have a destination
for the data to merge.

Doug Robbins

Check out OpenDataSource in the Visual Basic help file. It attaches a data
source to the specified document, which becomes a main document if it's not
one already.

Here is the example that is given the

With docNew.MailMerge
.MainDocumentType = wdFormLetters
.OpenDataSource _
Name:="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office" & _
"\Office\Samples\Northwind.mdb", _
LinkToSource:=True, AddToRecentFiles:=False, _
Connection:="TABLE Orders"
End With

--

"Dixie" wrote in message
I just need to know at this stage if this is possible. Can I automate
Word 2000 mailmerge from Access 2000 such that the automation code has
the location of the merge data in it and the mailmerge letter does not
itself need to know where to look for its merge data? I know you can
tell it where the data is in the automation code in Access, but I don't
seeem to be able to build a mailmerge Word template that doesn't have a
destination for the data to merge.

Doug Robbins

Using the Fields item from the Insert menu, you can insert mergefields.
They will not work of course until there is a data source attached to the
document and the names of the fields that were inserted manually by this
method must match the names of the fields in the data source.

--

"Dixie" wrote in message
I just need to know at this stage if this is possible. Can I automate
Word 2000 mailmerge from Access 2000 such that the automation code has
the location of the merge data in it and the mailmerge letter does not
itself need to know where to look for its merge data? I know you can
tell it where the data is in the automation code in Access, but I don't
seeem to be able to build a mailmerge Word template that doesn't have a
destination for the data to merge.

Doug Robbins

In the visual basic editor, type

ActiveDocument.MailMerge.

After typing the period after MailMerge, the intellisense will display a
list of options which will include OpenDataSource or something equivalent (I
don't have access to 2000 so cannot check). If you select that item and
then press F1, you will get the help information for it.

--

"Dixie" wrote in message
I just need to know at this stage if this is possible. Can I automate
Word 2000 mailmerge from Access 2000 such that the automation code has
the location of the merge data in it and the mailmerge letter does not
itself need to know where to look for its merge data? I know you can
tell it where the data is in the automation code in Access, but I don't
seeem to be able to build a mailmerge Word template that doesn't have a
destination for the data to merge.

Graham Mayor

As long as you know the field names, you can manually insert fields into
your document without first attaching a data file using CTRL+F9 to set the
field boundaries and the following syntax - {Mergefield fieldname}

"Dixie" wrote in message
I read all that Doug and I must admit that I don't see how it
relates to my problem. I am happy with my automation code, but
just need to be able to build many templates for my automated
letters which receive the instruction for where their merge data
file is located from the automation code itself and not have it
inserted in the mailmerge template. This way, it doesn't matter
which directory the data text file is sent to, the mailmerge will
still find it.

dixie

"Doug Robbins" wrote in message
It certainly is. Take a look at the information on fellow MVP
Albert Kallal's website at

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKal...rge/index.html

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Dixie" wrote in message
I just need to know at this stage if this is possible. Can I
automate Word 2000 mailmerge from Access 2000 such that the
automation code has the location of the merge data in it and the
mailmerge letter does not itself need to know where to look for
its merge data? I know you can tell it where the data is in the
automation code in Access, but I don't seeem to be able to build
a mailmerge Word template that doesn't have a destination for the
data to merge.

Dixie

Ah, the light goes on. Thankyou. I am embarassed I didn't think of that.

Thankyou Graham and Doug. I will play around with these concepts and see
what comes of them. Unfortunately, I am up to my hair clips in work right
now, but as soon as I can, I will devote some time to it.

dixie