Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GoBruins GoBruins is offline

Default Password protecting a Word document for emailing

hi,

i've been told that email is not a good medium for sending sensitive
data, as it is not encrypted. but if i password protect a Word document
first, is it then safe to send via email?

thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jackRabbit jackRabbit is offline

There are various encryption options available. Check out your Help to find
out more and which option might be more suitable for your needs. If the
document is for viewing only, might I suggest converting to PDF and setting
your security thru this method.

"GoBruins" wrote:

hi,

i've been told that email is not a good medium for sending sensitive
data, as it is not encrypted. but if i password protect a Word document
first, is it then safe to send via email?

thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

jackRabbit wrote:
There are various encryption options available. Check out your Help to find
out more and which option might be more suitable for your needs. If the
document is for viewing only, might I suggest converting to PDF and setting
your security thru this method.

thanks for your reply.

yes, the doc is for viewing only. but what advantages would the PDF
format have over the DOC format if i'm password protecting both? if i
chose the PDF format, i would have to purchase Adobe Acrobat, correct?

"GoBruins" wrote:

hi,

i've been told that email is not a good medium for sending sensitive
data, as it is not encrypted. but if i password protect a Word document
first, is it then safe to send via email?

thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can send the document password protected. Use one of the higher levels
of encryption - the default is not particularly secure. The only advantages
of PDF are that it ensures the layout doesn't change
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm ) and to inhibit (but
not prevent) editing.

Use a strong password and don't simply send the password in an e-mail.

"GoBruins" wrote:

hi,

i've been told that email is not a good medium for sending sensitive
data, as it is not encrypted. but if i password protect a Word
document first, is it then safe to send via email?

thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Graham Mayor wrote:
You can send the document password protected. Use one of the higher levels
of encryption - the default is not particularly secure. The only advantages
of PDF are that it ensures the layout doesn't change
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm ) and to inhibit (but
not prevent) editing.

Use a strong password and don't simply send the password in an e-mail.

thanks for the reply. layout change won't be an issue for us.

just to clarify - when you say "higher levels of encryption", you mean
encryption from within Word (i.e. RC4, Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic
Provider v1.0), and not encryption from the email program, correct?

"GoBruins" wrote:

hi,

i've been told that email is not a good medium for sending sensitive
data, as it is not encrypted. but if i password protect a Word
document first, is it then safe to send via email?

thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jackRabbit jackRabbit is offline

Regarding PDF. Depending on your needs, a PDF can be restricted for printing,
document changes, "content copying or extraction", among a few others. In my
document production office, for example, our need is to ensure that such
documents as provincial exams are not accessible for the above options. But
yes, you would need to acquire a full copy of Adobe Acrobat. Although, other
products are now available.

"GoBruins" wrote:

hi,

i've been told that email is not a good medium for sending sensitive
data, as it is not encrypted. but if i password protect a Word document
first, is it then safe to send via email?

thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

jackRabbit wrote:
Regarding PDF. Depending on your needs, a PDF can be restricted for printing,
document changes, "content copying or extraction", among a few others. In my
document production office, for example, our need is to ensure that such
documents as provincial exams are not accessible for the above options. But
yes, you would need to acquire a full copy of Adobe Acrobat. Although, other
products are now available.

good to know, thanks. we may need those features down the line.

"GoBruins" wrote:

hi,

i've been told that email is not a good medium for sending sensitive
data, as it is not encrypted. but if i password protect a Word document
first, is it then safe to send via email?

thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The operative word here is 'Restricted' Note that doesn't mean 'Prevented'.
Anything you allow a user to see can be copied, printed or manipulated in a
variety of ways. All the protection does is make things a little more
difficult for the casual user.

"GoBruins" wrote:

hi,

i've been told that email is not a good medium for sending
sensitive data, as it is not encrypted. but if i password protect
a Word document first, is it then safe to send via email?

thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RichZep RichZep is offline

All good advice here. If you want a programme for PDF try Cute PDF from
www.cutepdf.com. It sits in the printers folder therefore will work with any
programme and it's FREE.