Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kgoodman kgoodman is offline

Default Why is Word 2007 providing "File not available" output?

Since installing the Beta 2 Tech update, Word 2007 returns a message
indicating that a file is not available, even though the file is listed for
access. Creating a new file and saving it yields the same results.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're using Symantec/Norton AntiVirus, try disabling the
Office Plugin that comes with it (but don't disable Norton
AutoProtect). See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How
to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in"
for more information.

kgoodman wrote:

Since installing the Beta 2 Tech update, Word 2007 returns a message
indicating that a file is not available, even though the file is listed for
access. Creating a new file and saving it yields the same results.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kgoodman kgoodman is offline

Your answer provided me the solution to the problem. Thank you very much for
the timely and correct solution to my problem.

kgoodman wrote:

Since installing the Beta 2 Tech update, Word 2007 returns a message
indicating that a file is not available, even though the file is listed for
access. Creating a new file and saving it yields the same results.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shelly99 Shelly99 is offline

The Symantec site says that running Live update solves the problem. It
didn't for me and it gives a lengthy caveat about removing the plug in. Why
would one want to create the security issue. Might it not be easier to
uninstall and then reinstall without the update?

kgoodman wrote:

Since installing the Beta 2 Tech update, Word 2007 returns a message
indicating that a file is not available, even though the file is listed for
access. Creating a new file and saving it yields the same results.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

You mean without the Office B2TR patch? Sure, you can do that, but keep
in mind that between B2 and B2TR are several months worth of bug fixes,
changes and performance improvements. It is your call therefore whether
you want to work with a more buggy version.
Quite frankly though, the Office integration of any anti-virus program
provides you hardly with any additional security. Any file you open in
Office is anyhow scanned for viruses by your regular anti-virus program.
The only thing it adds is some macro virus scanning (not sure about
this, but I think most modern AV scanners scan Office documents for
macro viruses anyhow with their normal scanner), and I wouldn't be
surprised if that doesn't work anyhow with the new file format. In
addition, Office 2007 disables macros of documents not in a trusted
location (and by default, Office trusts basically no location) anyhow.
So if you choose to switch on a macro in a document you don't know where
you got it from or what it is, then you might be creating yourself a
security risk.
By the way, the corporate version of Norton AntiViurs (called Symantec
AntiVirus) does not even have an Office integration feature. If it was
really critical for security, Symantec would have provided it in their
corporate version as well. As they didn't, that alone is a testimony to
how little to none additional security this feature really provides.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

:

kgoodman wrote:

Since installing the Beta 2 Tech update, Word 2007 returns a message
indicating that a file is not available, even though the file is listed for
access. Creating a new file and saving it yields the same results.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shelly99 Shelly99 is offline

This cleared the problem right up. I'll take your advice about not
concerning myself with this particular security issue. thanks for the response
Start Norton AntiVirus.
If Norton AntiVirus is a part of Norton Internet Security or Norton
SystemWorks, then start that program.

2
Click Options.

3
In the left pane, click Miscellaneous.

4
In the right pane, under "How to keep Microsoft Office documents
protected," uncheck Enable Office plug-in.

5
Click OK.

: