Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
brutus522399 brutus522399 is offline

Default missing fonts - font names are single letters in MS WORD

My system got infected and after cleaning out the virus, the font name drop
down listed font names as a, b, c, ...z and defaulted to symbol fonts when i
typed. Fonts in all other applications worked fine. This was true for every
user account on my system. I tried uninstall/reinstall of ms word a few times
and some other suggestions i found on the web, like deleting Normal.dot,
deleting all restore points, etc. Nothing worked. Then, I created a new user
profile (account) on my system. Logged in under that account and ms word
worked fine. So, i think something was hosed in the hidden folder Application
Data under all of the user accounts. I wound up copying my favorites,
documents, etc. to the new profile using windows explorer and then deleted my
old user account. All is working fine, now. Hope this helps someone