ken1

Default Can I insert the musical signs for flat and sharp into a Word docu

Hmm. I had no problem in inserting a flat symbol in Word 2000. It was in
Lucinda Sans Unicode, on the very last line (of a VERY large number of
symbols) among 'Miscellaneous Dingbats'. It printed OK, and I saved
the document.

However, when I reopened it some months later, I now had a question
mark instead of the flat! Vaguely remembering something about embedded
fonts, I did a search in Word Help and discovered Tools- Options-
Save- Embed TrueType fonts. I re-inserted the flat, set the above
option, saved the document again and reopened it - still a question
mark! The same happens if I additionally set 'Embed characters in use
only'. Signs for natural, sharp, crotchet or quaver (single or beamed
pair) also reopen as question marks. Setting the 'Embed' option BEFORE
I insert the flat sign doesn't help either.

When I try Arial Unicode MS, I find the flat symbol a lot earlier -
about 10% of the way down the list, again under 'Miscellaneous
Dingbats'. Saving, with or without the Embed option set, and
reopening, still loses the flat symbol, except that this time I get TWO
characters - a block symbol and an 'o acute'. (The other musical signs
reopen as either question marks or block symbol + o grave or
circumflex.)

Word Help does say "Note that TrueType font vendors determine the
licensing rights for embedding fonts. For example, some fonts can't be
embedded, ..." so I guess that this may be happening with Lucinda and
Arial. Any more ideas, anyone?

?B?Z2FyZGVuaW5nbGFkeQ==?= Wrote:
jbc,
Did you find the symbols referred to by Jay Freedman? I have Word 2002
and
they are not in either the Arial Unicode or Lucida Sans Unicodein my
version.
Any clues?

--
ken1Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access